Carrera Jabberwock - Magnesium

contented
contented Posts: 83
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
As per the title, has anyone had any experience of this Magnesium containing, apparently quite uncommon, bike? Early 2000s I think, and was quite up the range I believe.
Not seen a lot of info about it, and the web searches only give me fortune telling snippets from the 90's that say it's the material of the future for bikes.
Asking as I know of one, but can't decide if rarity is due to it being crap or just ahead of its time.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to sell them ;-). And the Zelos, which was magnesium for a while, I think the former replaced the latter.

Magnesium is lighter than alu, but harder to work with, ie tube forming, welding. The frames were proofed on the inside so corrosion shouldn't be an issue if is intact. Today though is only used really in castings, as techniques in alu tubing have rendered it pretty much redundant.

Are light, but I wouldn't bother unless cheap.
  • Cheers for that Supersonic. I've seen a complete Jabberwock for less than £100 but won't be too tempted to look unless the the components are decent.
    Thanks again
  • supersonic
    A whole one for £100?! Go for it!
  • Righto, will send the message. Could be £90 well spent.
    I like the idea of having something a little off the norm I guess.
  • supersonic
    It's a bargain if it reasonable condition. I've seen the frames alone go for that! Disc brakes as well?
  • "Carera mountain bike for sale doble disk hydrolicks breaks 90 pound ono"
    Looks pretty good. Apparently I have just got to go round "2moz" to give it a quick look and hand over the loot.
    Anything I need to look out for especially? I'm guessing that a basic check of the frame for damage is probably more important than anything else?
    Thanks again by the way for your advice. I owe you one.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Contented wrote:
    "Carera mountain bike for sale doble disk hydrolicks breaks 90 pound ono"
    Looks pretty good. Apparently I have just got to go round "2moz" to give it a quick look and hand over the loot.
    Anything I need to look out for especially? I'm guessing that a basic check of the frame for damage is probably more important than anything else?
    Thanks again by the way for your advice. I owe you one.

Based on an inherent lack of understanding regarding the English language, check its not stolen for a start.
  • Never considered that actually. If it turns out to be stolen, I probably should have just offered him £50 for a quick sale.
    In all seriousness though, I'll do what I can; but I guess he was just messaging me from his phone, and even my very middle class, blazer wearing teenage nephew becomes some kind of incomprehensible gangsta when he's texting.
    Maybe we're just getting old Cookeh.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cookeh is 12.

He replaced Jay13.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have the carerra Zelos Magnesium. Bought it new about 8 years ago for 500quid reduced from a grand. Had mini hope disc brakes which I still have on it but most of the rest was upgrded last year. Thought it desurved a treat for all the years of service
    IMAG1781_zps5f17390c.jpg
  • Nice bike Sprite. Bloke seemed a bit dodgy in the end, all very non-committal and vague. Bike seems out of place there and he doesn't seem to know anything about it, so it looks like it'll not be coming home with me.
    Keep an eye out for it on Gumtree, you'll have to type in 'Carera' to find it if it reappears. Would have loved to have had it but I guess it's not to be. :(
    Back to the sensible search for a 17in frame I go.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Misspelling names is a classic way to avoid the rightful owners searches by the real name......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.