Rockshox Revelations rl,solo air

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I run a set of 150mm Revelations,solo air on my Giant Reign 2 and recently i have noticed a slight knock when i lift the front end up by the bars slowly,at 1st i thought my headset was borked but had my bike over at Wheelcraft last week to get wheel trued and asked the mechanic to check the headset,no play and said it was fine,he said i was running too much air in my forks as i was only using 3/4's of my travel coming off 3-4ft drops,so i took air out and it felt fine but the knocking seems to be starting again,do i need to let out more air or do they need to be looked at.To be fair im a bit unsure when it comes to suspension,they run the Moco setting,any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    What rebound setting are you using? slowing it down a bit might help reduce the top-out.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What year are they?
  • hainman
    2013 i think,or 2012,they are on 2013 Giant reign,
    so i think i have them on the Hare/rabbit,which would be fast??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    May just be play between the stanchions and the bushings, that can happen on some forks
  • jimothy78
    hainman wrote:
    so i think i have them on the Hare/rabbit,which would be fast??

Hare = fast (less rebound damping)
    Tortoise = slow (more rebound damping)

Turn dial as far as you can towards tortoise, counting the "notches" as you go (some people call it clicks, but it's felt more than heard), so that you know what setting you were on. Most people I know run somewhere between 3 and 7 notches back out from the slowest setting. Try different settings and see if it makes any difference.
  • hainman
    Thanks jimothy78.i had a wee fettle this morning before my baltic,wet,windy,snowy,sleety ride today,felt better,I was on full hare/fast,so dialled it back 3-4 notches and it stopped the knock,,So going 7 from the tortoise is kinda fast but not fully,and 3 is quite slow but not fully,im still trying to suss out the moco setting,have about 4-5 clicks then locked out,i know it can affect the way the bike dives when braking but what does it do on the terrain as a ride,when not braking??

Cheers

Craig
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • jimothy78
    hainman wrote:
    I was on full hare/fast,so dialled it back 3-4 notches and it stopped the knock
    Not surprised you were getting a harsh top-out, then. You need some rebound damping to control the re-extension of the forks after each compression.
    So going 7 from the tortoise is kinda fast but not fully,and 3 is quite slow but not fully,
    In fact, both should be on the slow side of middle (I think revs have 15 notches between the extremes, or it might be 20, not 100% sure) but either way the consensus seems to be that the full range is not necessary - no-one really rides in the faster half of the scale.
    im still trying to suss out the moco setting,have about 4-5 clicks then locked out,i know it can affect the way the bike dives when braking but what does it do on the terrain as a ride,when not braking??
    Yeah, the compression damping essentially provides some resistance to compressions which slows the movement of the fork and stops it diving uncontrollably. Fully damped, although refered to as "locked out" still allows the forks to compress a little, albeit not very much, and mostly as a result of quick impacts. It's useful when climbing on smooth terain as it elliminates pedal-bob and makes you more efficient. The lower settings act to control the speed and extent of compressions - the less damping you run, the free-er it is to move, so generally you want to run less in rougher conditions (although you may find that one or two notches gives more resistance to diving on step-downs, etc. - you can experiment with that as you ride and see what works best for you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They have such a big range because a big rider running high air pressure will need a lot of damping where a small rider running low pressure will need much less. No one would ever need the full range but different weight riders will use different bits of thar range.
    My Revs have a top out clunk but apparently it's an issue with the dual position air.