fulcrum racing 5 2014

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
right well i got knocked of my bike last year, i went into the side of a car while he was turning across my path (he didnt want to wait and thought he could make it, well he didint) so my bikes front forks had snapped as did the front wheel a easton ea50 aero on the repair quote from my lbs i was quoted £150 for a new front wheel.

I was thinking of getting a complete new set of wheels as i can get some of the fulcrum racing 5s the newer model for around £140 ish, my question was the rear wheel only has 20 spokes is this going to be strong enough im 14st and a average sort of rider, my current wheels on my winter bike are the older racing 5s which have 24 spokes and ive only had to true them once they have been a great wheel, i was just abit put off by the low spoke count of the newer wheels

sorry for waffling on but any help will be appreciated

Comments

• Currently using the 2012/13 CX version on my bike over winter. Excellent wheels. Vurtually Bomb proof too. The new ones are lighter but I wouldnt let the spoke count put you off. I'm 76kg.
  • have the 2014 cx 7's on my commuter & have been great,

mine get abused through rubbish roads & up/down kerbs on cycle lanes whilst avoiding busy roundabouts
  • tubbs_214 wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a complete new set of wheels as i can get some of the fulcrum racing 5s the newer model for around £140 ish
    Where can they be had for that price?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I wouldnt let the spoke count put you off. I'm 76kg.

But the OP is way more than that (89kg ish). 76kg is pretty light for a grown man (less than 12 stone that is).

20 spoke rear wheels are only good for light folks IMO.
    Yellow is the new Black.