Human Race - Chiltern 100 Sportive?

2»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    For the record: I'd much rather fail at finshing the longer route than complete the shorter one.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meast
    meast Posts: 19
    I found this article helpful, having only done a couple of the hills around there.

http://www.cyclosport.org/01-May-2014/n ... -2014.html

Gives a good guide to the major climbs.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Lots of sage advice in the posts above. I rode this 2 years ago when it hotter than hell and we had a headwind for the second half. Had used the ride as a warm up for the Etape (Acte 1) and found the C100 to be equally challenging. I'll be riding on the 1st June with compact and 11-28 on the back. Keep well fueled, keep smiling and leave plenty in the tank for the second half. Its a good day out :)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I did some of the route last Saturday including Whiteleaf, Wardrobes etc. They are a real test but not as hard as the climbs in events such as le terrier. I suspect pacing will be important as the climbs seem to come thick and fast. However the countryside is stunning and rewards your efforts.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Ok, a little over a week away from the event, and with a certain degree of sadness, I've decided to pull out. I've literally not been on the bike in about ten days and prior to that my form sucked horribly. Sure I could man up, as I'll no doubt be told to do so, but I'm pretty certain I would get no pleasure from the event, and will almost certainly fail early on. So, discretion being the better part of valour and all that guff, I'm going to focus on getting my cycling legs back and joining a club. Hopefully life won't be so chaotic this time next year and I can try the Chiltern 100 then.

The good news for one of you lot is that my place is free to anyone who wants it. You'd have to do it with my number, but that won't be a problem as there's no signing in for Human Race events (even if there was I haven't signed anything in registering for the event anyway). As long as you have the numbers on you and your bike, which I'll gladly forward, you're good to go. Just drop me a PM.
  • I really enjoyed this as I managed to get around on a elliptical bike. Can't wait for next year :D:D
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Sorry to hear you had to drop out Jonny. I will not tell you to man up. If you were not up to it; that's that. Sorry to hear it.

I absolutely loved the event. Completed it in under 10 hours with an hour for lunch and two break stops which was my goal. Also did every single climb without getting off. It was hard, though. Very hard. Definitely putting my name down for next year.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Jeepie wrote:
    Sorry to hear you had to drop out Jonny. I will not tell you to man up. If you were not up to it; that's that. Sorry to hear it.

I absolutely loved the event. Completed it in under 10 hours with an hour for lunch and two break stops which was my goal. Also did every single climb without getting off. It was hard, though. Very hard. Definitely putting my name down for next year.

Now that's the way to do it! Well done Jeepie! :)

I'm a little sad that I didn't do it, but I know I made the right decision. I went for a 35 mile jaunt with a mate instead and it was obvious my form just wasn't up to the Chiltern 100. I am spurred on to train for a couple of alternative events, however, but it's just a question of finding the time to do so.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It was a great ride - fantastic weather and generally a good standard of riding. Could have done with it being 10km or so shorter, but there you go. 7hrs 8mins.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Jeepie wrote:

Now that's the way to do it! Well done Jeepie! :)

I'm a little sad that I didn't do it, but I know I made the right decision. I went for a 35 mile jaunt with a mate instead and it was obvious my form just wasn't up to the Chiltern 100. I am spurred on to train for a couple of alternative events, however, but it's just a question of finding the time to do so.
    Well there's the Wiggle Chiltern 100 Classic on June 28th (i'm doing it)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Am resurrecting this thread! Am thinking of doing this next year (2017) as my big goal, was due to do it this year but had to have surgery which was an end to that. Will need to take a large dose of MTFU and diet pills, but it's plenty of time away so can build up to it.

And I'm local so I know most of the climbs, apart from Wardrobes. However, knowing the climbs and climbing the climbs are two different things.

Anyway, any further feedback on the 2015 or 2016 events? Still bestial, but fun (!)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm thinking of (finally) doing this too.