Which would you choose...Canyon or Whyte?

ScreaminWargasm
ScreaminWargasm Posts: 289
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Hoping you can give some advice. Im looking at buying my first hardtail MTB in a long time and don't really know what im after as im not familiar with MTB components.

Would you mind taking a look at the following links and giving a bit of advice on which is better and why?
If you were to spend up to £1200 would you be looking elsewhere?

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2

http://www.cyclesuk.com/10492200/produc ... tAodjUEAxw

I know the Canyon is a 29er and the Whyte is a 650b. I have read up a bit about the pros and cons and would be happy with either (I think).

Been riding road bikes for years now and Canyon have a good reputation for quality bikes with good spec for a reasonable price.
The Whyte seems to have good reviews and I could buy it locally which would be easier should I get any warranty issues.

The bike is going to be used for riding wooded areas etc when the weather on the roads is s@#t..........which is most of the time recently!!!!!

Many thanks

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The Whyte - it has a slack geometry which gives confidence on tricky descents, a real do it all bike. Top quality frame. I ride a Whyte 905 26er. British too. Canyon looks good too but I love the way Whyte hardtails handle & personally I wouldn't go for a 29er anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    The Canyon is better spec'd... but i'd also go for the whyte - good all round, do it all bike and Whyte are excellent on the warranty side (5yrs on the frame).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not sure I would go for either. The Canyon is excellent value but a bit of a dull ride. The Whyte isn't as good value and 650b tyre choice is limited.
    I would look for a 2013 model Giant Trance.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    and 650b tyre choice is limited.

That's a daft reason. With the whole industry churning out 650Bs more and more tyres will follow.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thanks for the replies so far. I think the Whyte is looking like the better option at the moment as at least I can try it at the shop first and return it for servicing and warranty issues.
    So am I right in thinking that 29ers in general are not as fun to ride?
    Canyon don't sell anything but 29ers for 2014 hardtails.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited February 2014

That's a daft reason. With the whole industry churning out 650Bs more and more tyres will follow.

Indeed. I noticed the Hans Dampf in 650b is available in 2 width fittings now which is not the case in the 29er or 26" versions.

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-read ... dampf.html

What about this Canyon for value ?

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3281
  • I certainly like the look of that, although I'm not sure if I need a full sus bike for what I intend on using it for. It will also add 1.5kg in weight (my roadie side coming out).
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Yup - won't be long until the situation's reversed and it's 26" tyre choice that's limited. I think the tyre manufacturers have just been as surprised as everyone by the suddden wholesale shift the bike manufacturers have taken to 650b, doubt it will be long before they catch up, since (whether folk like it or not) the size is here to stay and 26" is dead in the water. I imagine that they've been busy enough tooling up to meet the demand of OE spec 650b tyres for the bike manufacturers, but wn't be far behind with the aftermarket ranges.
  • Gonna throw this Scott Scale 750 into the mix too, as I can get a discount on it down to £1180
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAodpW0ANg
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Yup - won't be long until the situation's reversed and it's 26" tyre choice that's limited. I think the tyre manufacturers have just been as surprised as everyone by the suddden wholesale shift the bike manufacturers have taken to 650b, doubt it will be long before they catch up, since (whether folk like it or not) the size is here to stay and 26" is dead in the water. I imagine that they've been busy enough tooling up to meet the demand of OE spec 650b tyres for the bike manufacturers, but wn't be far behind with the aftermarket ranges.

Same was said when 29ers where the flavour of the month not so long ago... 26in isn't dead in the water by any means.
  • Angus Young
    Yup - won't be long until the situation's reversed and it's 26" tyre choice that's limited.

Yes, I was going to throw that in but decided not to lest it cause a big distracting punch up over wheel sizes again. It's almost inevitable at some point, though.
  • Angus Young
    miceden wrote:
    Same was said when 29ers where the flavour of the month not so long ago... 26in isn't dead in the water by any means.

Not really, 29 seems to have been an 'as well' where 27.5 seems to be an 'instead of'.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Different types of bikes, the canyon and Scott are more xc focused, the whyte is slacker and built for somewhat harder riding. And is appalling value.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Different types of bikes, the canyon and Scott are more xc focused, the whyte is slacker and built for somewhat harder riding. And is appalling value.
    Thanks for the info. The Whyte seems to have great reviews from a few mags recently. For what reason is it bad value? I assume the forks and gears aren't great then?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Thanks for the info. The Whyte seems to have great reviews from a few mags recently. For what reason is it bad value? I assume the forks and gears aren't great then?
    Nothing wrong with the parts. On a £750 bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    I love the look of the whyte ,but if it is considered appalling value what other similar purpose slack hardtail bikes are available that are good value then?onone evo maybe? orange crush?
    :?: :?: :?:
  • supersonic
    Defintely the OnOne Evo. The SRAM shifters and rear mech are a couple of rungs up, shift much smoother and lasts longer. Brakes more adjustable, something I find you need on Elixirs with their moving bite points. The fork is a %00 quid unit on its own, absolutely superb. Add in good wheels and a highly regarded frame, and you have a tough, but not too heavy do it all bike.

A lot of it is how you like the geometry - any bike will ride bad if you don't like it, and I don't see why a fashionably slack bike costs any more than any other. But the parts to me can make a big difference as well, especially when the gears get grumpy, the fork starts kicking back over succesive hits, the brakes wander - it ads up.

Maybe I am a bit too harsh with the Whyte, obviously many like it, but I know those parts would hurt the ride for me. of course you can change them - also look at custom builds.
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    Supersonic,would you consider the giant anthem 3 and trance 3 as good value?The new 2014 models for £1500 i mean.
  • supersonic
    I think Giant full sus bikes are decent value. You are getting a superb frame, light and capable. The Anthem 3 also has a bloody good fork too, is a good package. Frames like this would cost £1000 plus new on their own. And the Deore stuff works a lot better than the entry level SRAM.

However is worth looking in sales for older Anthems and Trances.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The only bike mentioned so far I'd consider rather than the Whyte is the on one evo - the whyte has lighter frame though & would still be my choice. I agree that Whytes are not amazing value in terms of spec but if you are will to consider 26 inch wheels then theres this: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike I keep recommending it on here because I got one & love it so much. I'm very biased!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    Having had a 2013 canyon nerve and a 2012 whyte 905, I decided to keep the whyte and sell the canyon. Not much will compete with canyon for value for money but I found the whyte to be much more fun due to the slack head angle. The whyte also has decent mud clearance and is seems very well suited to UK riding.

You will probably be delighted with either bike but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the whyte.
    Whyte 905
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    passout wrote:
    The only bike mentioned so far I'd consider rather than the Whyte is the on one evo - the whyte has lighter frame though & would still be my choice. I agree that Whytes are not amazing value in terms of spec but if you are will to consider 26 inch wheels then theres this: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike I keep recommending it on here because I got one & love it so much. I'm very biased!

This is where I bought mine from too. Great value at under 1k and quick delivery.
    Whyte 905
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The one one evo looks great, but the whyte isn't as bad value as everyone says, it's about as good as it gets for not directly sold bikes
  • Kowalski675
    The new 2014 Whyte 905 is getting very gppd reviews.
  • I'm in a not too dissimilar position to the OP.

What about the Boardman Pro 29er? Is there any reason why nobody has suggested that yet? Seems pretty decent value spec wise. Not had chance to ride one yet.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/29er_pro.html
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • Kowalski you talk utter b0ll0x. do you just copy and paste things off other bike websites????

The Whyte looks like a fantastic bike id have that over the canyon.

26 aint dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZylC-n4qE
  • Kowalski675
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Kowalski you talk utter b0ll0x. do you just copy and paste things off other bike websites????

No (I don't even frequent any other pushbike sites). Are you just an arrogant, illiterate ar*ehole?
  • What did you decide on on the end?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    What did you decide on on the end?

Decided that I will save a bit more cash and get a Canyon Nerve AL 7.0 or 8.0, depending on how impatient I get :wink: