Upgrading 9 -> 10 speed

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Am I ok to use my 9 speed mech?

Trying to do it on the cheap so starting with just shifters and cassette...

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    It ought to be fine. Personally I'd stick with 9 speed and the tougher chains you'll get.
  • You will need to change the chain as well. Your current derailleurs should be ok (mine were when I did mine).
  • Anonymous
    I would stick with 9s but I've now worn out 2 sets of shifters. RHS won't downshift properly. Apparently due to the rachet being worn so am looking at either new 9s or just going 10.

Thanks all
  • coriordan wrote:
    I would stick with 9s but I've now worn out 2 sets of shifters. RHS won't downshift properly. Apparently due to the rachet being worn so am looking at either new 9s or just going 10.

Thanks all

Or you can get a set of Campagnolo 9 speed on Ebay and a SHiftmate. The Campag shifters of that generation are extremely durable, compare to flaky Shimano

These are Veloce 9 speed that I got on Ebay a couple of years ago. I never changed the cables and I think I fitted some cables I had on a previous 10 speed set (not as durable). They shift a Shimano 9 cassette

fugio_zpsad4b8194.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    £38 for a little pulley?! Jesus Christ!
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:
    £38 for a little pulley?! Jesus Christ!

It's a nice piece of engineering and it's stainless steel. In two years it has been flawless, worth evert penny
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    coriordan wrote:

Thanks all

Changed my 9 speed Dura Ace to 10 speed this week (only because I had some 10 speed left over from another bike) so if you want to make an offer I am fairly close in Richmond (shifter, rear and front mechs)

SV
  • Anonymous
    Thanks v much SV. Just got a new mech so only after shifters. Let me have a think about a price. Have you got both shifters?
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Yep, got both shifters and happy to sell just the shifters. In fact perfect as I would put the rear/front mech on my turbo bike (which occassionally gets an outdoor ride).

SV