'Edgy' comedy. Where is it?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
I've been listening to recordings of the Chris Morris Music Shows which first broadcast on Radio 1 back in 1994/95 (available to download here http://www.mediafire.com/?7nwws075tk5vj#eam9z7jhfzxjd ) I remember listening to these at the time and finding them hilarious, which they still are by the way; surreal, filled with bad language, ridiculous, brilliant. The music is pretty good too and it's noticeable that all bad language is included in the rap music he plays regularly. Thing is, after a couple of episodes it makes you start to wonder how he got away with it in the first place but then why something similar hasn't been broadcast since? Here's a (prophetic) 25 seconds as an example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRFlcXCkoc

Is it purely because broadcasters are wise to any attempts to put 'controversial' stuff on the radio/tv? The most recent example of something similar was Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross' unfunny crack at that bloke out of Fawlty Towers but the difference is that in response to that, Brand made a grovelling apology and lost his slot on Radio 2. Morris issued apologies for some of his material when complaints came in (read out by a homeless guy, a child, himself on helium) and had his show pulled for a couple of weeks but was able to produce 24 episodes full of ridiculous psstaking of all and sundry in the media, politics and the general public.

What we have now is panel shows and stand-up that just seems bland after listening to Morris. Even someone 'edgy' like Frankie Boyle (who is sh1t) says nothing that goes beyond sneering jibes at minor celebrities.

Christ, just realised 1994 is 20 years ago. But what have we had that has any 'edge' since then? Most of it has come from Chris Morris again (Brass Eye, Nathan Barley).

I want some anarchy.

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Certainly, it's been all but pushed out of mainstream media. Networks are just not willing to take the risk of bad publicity so the masses just get spoon-fed vanilla sludge (I'm looking at you 'Live at the Apollo').

The only tiny vessel that makes it through onto BBC2 that i know of is Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe. He's not quite as punchy as he used to be, but the cynical satire is still a welcome breath of fresh air. Also having people like Doug Stanhope as contributors helps the cause.

Another radio example is/was 'Mark & Lard'. Go back and listen to that and it will blow your mind what they got away with on Radio One!

Basically, with the sprawl of media we have today, you have to go and find it yourself. There is some brilliant podcasts about - The aforementioned Stanhope, Bill Burr etc.
  • heavymental
    I was thinking that podcasts are probably where it's at these days considering the freedom it offers but then I guess some of the beauty of the Chris Morris shows was that it was broadcast on mainstream radio rather than a dark corner of the internet. Are the Mark and Lard shows anywhere to download? I'd certainly prefer to listen to repeats from the early nineties rather than Steve Wright and his current pap. Although I hear Radcliffe and Maconie on 6Music is good and and rambly.

Doug Stanhope and Bill Burr are your podcast recommendations then?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Stewart Lee?
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    lc1981 wrote:
    Stewart Lee?
    Never really "Got" Stewart Lee but got to photograph him on Thursday. At the pre-show meet he was really kind and co-operative, I was really nervous meeting him and I think it showed.
    An unusual way of delivering his comedy and the audience loved it.

Pics here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamwspi ... 344175815/
  • heavymental
    I don't dislike Stewart Lee and I do like Charlie Brooker but I do think much of it is just high level whingeing. What's funny about good satire is that it undermines its target and makes it look ridiculous. It exposes its failings, hypocrisies and weaknesses in a way that leaves you energised. Stewart Lee kind of sucks the energy out of his targets whereas Chris Morris storms in, ties it into an comedy knot and leaves the room giggling.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    For a brief period starting in 1994, Radio 1, casting about for a new direction after getting rid of the Smashie and Nicey crowd, got its evening schedule just about spot on:

http://frequencyfinder.org.uk/r1_sched_94_97.html

The Evening Session had a reasonable selection, followed by an intelligent comedy, arts or pop history show at 9, then Mark & Lard Mon-Thurs until midnight, or John Peel on Friday. It's been downhill ever since.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Are the Mark and Lard shows anywhere to download?

Last ever show.

http://ohluckyyou.namwollem.co.uk/lastshow.html
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Peat wrote:
    Another radio example is/was 'Mark & Lard'. Go back and listen to that and it will blow your mind what they got away with on Radio One!

Listening to Mull o f'Kintyre in the afternoon :lol::lol::lol:
  • One place it isn't is in 'Watson and Oliver', wouldn't be surprised if this hatefull trip back 30 years wasn't restricted to export for those of us watching BBC Entertainment. Horrid.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Blimey! That's a bit harsh! Not a fan but 'hateful' seems an odd description for something that is fairly inoffensive. And I dont remember that many female double acts doing the rounds in the 80s!!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Jerry Sadowitz used to appear relatively regularly on TV - not sure you'd describe him as edgy though, more outright offensive. Anyone remember his Jimmy Saville routine?!
  • Was perhaps a touch harsh and no-one suggested they were intending to be remotely edgy.
    I appreciate that anything has to be performed with commitment but those two do seem a bit smug where embarrassment might be more appropriate.

I usually find comedy that is presented as 'edgy' to be more entertaining than laugh outloud funny.
    I think Jerry Sadowitz, whilst not for everyone, is great. Well respected in the business it seems too.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Miranda?
    I'll get me coat.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    cyd190468 wrote:
    You see the same effect regarding nudity. A TV show with nudity is becoming more rare as young people turn to the net for their entertainment. The average age of a BBC watcher is now about 75 so they cater tootheir audience.

You don't watch Sky Atlantic or similar then? Some of the programmes on there would never have got broadcast 20 years ago (Game of Thrones, Spartacus etc.). They have some full on nudity, language and violence.

'Edgy' comedy always makes me think of the likes of Ben Elton and that 80s brand of sledgehammer subtle 'satire' which was crap. Chris Morris was the master of doing it well, the people he duped into appearing on Brass Eye and the subsequent uproar from politicians who seemed unaware that they were watching a comedy programme show how good he was.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Anyone here watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Obviously it's very US-centric but they have a remarkable talent for mocking hypocrisy.

(There are various nefarious means by which you can watch episodes on their website.)
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    lc1981 wrote:
    Stewart Lee?

I have seen Stewart Lee a few times and was at one of the comedy vehicle recordings.
    Brilliant.

Seen Bill Bailey quite a few times ,very funny and talented.

Nathan Barley was superb. check it out .

I think when Chris Morris did Jam it was to much for most people . I quite enjoyed it.

It Crowd has been great as was Black books. Vic and Bobs house of fools has been genius at times.

Larry David , Seinfeld. Brilliant.

Bill Hicks is sadly missed.

Toast of London had some moments of genius. Check out the Michael ball episode,,, awesome.

Mighty Boosh .