Buying a SH motor

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited February 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Some of you may have seen that I trashed my Fiesta. I used to work for Ford and got it new at a cheap employee price. It had 220k on it and was cheap as chips to run and maintain ( not that I did!)

Need something to replace it

Thinking of a Focus, around 06 / 07, around 80k miles, diesel, max £4k. Estate would be good, hatch fine, CMax no ( missus has one)

I haven't bought a SH motor for over 20 years. Just remind me what I need to check - and if any of you have experience of a Focus of that vintage - what do I particularly need to look out for

Btw, how many bikes can you fit in a Focus estate?

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Depends if you cut their heads off. No, sorry, that's prostitutes.
  • BigAl wrote:
    About 50
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    That vintage and that mileage - very noisy car. Prone to failures on the fuel injector. Diagnostic for that is mpg - should be > 45 nearer 49mpg. Check exhaust and clutch - all of these are expensive repairs - other than that good car.
    Add a towbar for £300 and get a carrier - much easier.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    BigAl wrote:
    Some of you may have seen that I trashed my Fiesta. I used to work for Ford and got it new at a cheap employee price. It had 220k on it and was cheap as chips to run and maintain ( not that I did!)

Need something to replace it

Thinking of a Focus, around 06 / 07, around 80k miles, diesel, max £4k. Estate would be good, hatch fine, CMax no ( missus has one)

I haven't bought a SH motor for over 20 years. Just remind me what I need to check - and if any of you have experience of a Focus of that vintage - what do I particularly need to look out for

Check the tyres, they're prone to exploding on a Focus.
  • BigAl wrote:
    Focus, around 06 / 07, around 80k miles, diesel, max £4k. Estate

I heard they cause more accidents than they prevent.

They don't have as much torque as a BMW 335d either.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The BMW 335D is well known to be the most powerful motor in the world.

I believe they originally powered the Enterprise.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    I think this was posted in the wrong forum :)

Now if it was in The Hub, I could tell you about my Mondy diesel jalopy thing without going off topic.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If it was in the hub, I'd be asking VWsurfbum for some advice on Jaaaaaaaaag estates (it was you who used to have one of them, right?)

But it isn't, so I will point out that a clapped out old focus will be more expensive to run than GTs mum, but it's probably got less miles on the clock.
  • BigAl
    If it was in the hub

If it was in the hub, no fecker would have said anything at all.

Anyways a very dull day today looking at boring cars. Probably found the right one to buy though.

Next year I'll be looking to replace my weekend car which will be much more fun (and much more costly)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    BigAl wrote:
    If it was in the hub

You'd have got more info from one reply in the hub than you have from this entire ferkin thread :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • BigAl
    Got offered a guaranteed £500 trade in on my Fiesta. The look on the salesman's face when I tod him:

a) it has 221,000 miles on it
    b) the power steering pump is farked (you can her it from 1000 yards)
    c) it has a gash all down the passenger side - both doors and rear wheel arch farked

Only one owner though :wink:

If its worth £100 - it's only because there's £50 of fuel in it
  • BigAl
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    If it was in the hub

You'd have got more info from one reply in the hub than you have from this entire ferkin thread :wink:
    Probably.

I might have had a few London Prides before posting last night. Probably
  • Ignore everything the car salesperson has said, and buy my car off me. Very trusty and reliable, and a paltry 112,000 miles on the clock compared to your current car.
    £1k and it's yours :D
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • BigAl
    Ignore everything the car salesperson has said, and buy my car off me. Very trusty and reliable, and a paltry 112,000 miles on the clock compared to your current car.
    I'm in!

What colour is it?

White's a no-no
  • BigAl
    Depends if you cut their heads off. No, sorry, that's prostitutes.

Amateur, tsshh

Obviously you'd use a saloon for murdering whores
  • BigAl wrote:
    Got offered a guaranteed £500 trade in on my Fiesta. The look on the salesman's face when I tod him:

a) it has 221,000 miles on it
    b) the power steering pump is farked (you can her it from 1000 yards)
    c) it has a
    gash all down the passenger side - both doors and rear wheel arch farked

Only one owner though :wink:

If
    its worth £100 - it's only because there's £50 of fuel in it
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    BigAl wrote:
    Got offered a guaranteed £500 trade in on my Fiesta. The look on the salesman's face when I had sex with him:

I don't think we want to know about this. Slut.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • BigAl wrote:
    Ignore everything the car salesperson has said, and buy my car off me. Very trusty and reliable, and a paltry 112,000 miles on the clock compared to your current car.
    I'm in!

What colour is it?

White's a no-no
    It's a kind of bluey grey, that only Vauxhall could pull off. It's like an Eeyore colour.
    It also has some nice 'go faster' stripes on the drivers rear door/back bumper. To the untrained eye these look like scratches, but they really make a difference in the vehicles performance!
    Just wire me the money, and I'll send it down to you for free delivery! :D
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    If it was in the hub, I'd be asking VWsurfbum for some advice on Jaaaaaaaaag estates (it was you who used to have one of them, right?)
    It was, But had more than a few cars since then. Still a bargain Barge though.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BigAl wrote:

It'll be excessively expensive tbh, Focus diesels always are- I really wanted to track down a 2.0 but there were basically none on the market, and 10 million 1.6 petrols. Which you do not want. I did the same thing just about everyone does when they try and fail to get a diesel Focus, and got a Mondeo instead as they're cheaper for more car.

I haven't used a Mk2 estate but the mk1 had a portal to another dimension in the boot- massive, square, excellent entrance too, you could fit another Focus inside it. I had 4 bikes in mine + kit for a long weekend with the back seats down, or 3 bikes and 3 people with 1 rear seat. Kind of spoiled me for less well designed estates.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigAl
    Funnily enough - I have tracked down a 58 plate 2 litre diesel estate. High spec too. Should be picking it up early next week
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You git :lol: I could only find shagged ex-paramedic ones.
    Uncompromising extremist