Help for an Audax/Randonee newbie

bennyhana22
bennyhana22 Posts: 72
Hi all

A seasoned rider, Etaper, Sportiver etc, I have committed to doing PBP 2015, so am entering Audax type of rides for the first time this year.

I'm doing a 300km PBP pre-qualifying ride in April. I'm pretty happy on all things regarding bike, lights etc, but it's bags and maps that I need advice on:

1. Is it realistic to try to do PBP with 'just' a 9 litre Carradice saddle bag? I'd like to travel as light as possible, and ideally would not want a bar bag and/or particularly large saddle bag etc. Is that feasible or foolish?

2. On unmarked rides (like my April 300km), obviously I'll need some mapping, but is it OK to aim to carry that in pockets etc, or is it really advisable to have a bar bag with one of the transparent map sleeves to look at whilst riding etc? Again, I'd rather not, but would welcome advice...

thanks

Ben
x

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Welcome to the dark side.

1 - Yes, people do. 9 litres is the Barley, the most common size for Audax at pretty much all distances. One thing to be very clear on PBP is that there is no official bag drops - so you're carrying everything you need for the ride. A lot of whether that bag is big enough comes down to your personal standards. Personally, I can handle wearing the same tops for a couple of days, but do like to change shorts every 400km or so ideally (though have done 600+ in the same shorts without issue).

Some of it also comes down to whether you're riding it in something like 60 hours or the full 90 hours.

I rode PBP with a Camper Longflap - I think now I am better at packing, I could do PBP with a Nelson. But I don't think I could do it with a Barley. I use a Barley on everything up to 600km, or on longer rides with bagdrops.

One trick is possibly to use a rack, keep the Barley, and then bungie a couple of dry bags on to the rack (i.e. no panniers). I plan to do something along these lines for a 1300 in Scotland this year.

2 - Map trap or GPS. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/polaris-map-trap-p260326

You won't need either on PBP as it is fully route-marked. But you will need it when riding here in the UK for qualifiers etc.

Bonne chance and see you in St. Quentin

What's your first 300?
  • Marcus that's extremely helpful and very kind of you - thanks.

As it stands, I'm fairly certain that I will apply for the 90 hour entry. Although I am a wee bit competitive (accepting entirely the philosophy of the audax/randonee non-race ethos), It's just silly to do anything else for my first, and conceivably only, 1200! Saying that, I know that I'll want to get round in as fast a time as I can sensibly manage - I will work hard on disciplining myself regarding pace etc. From my reading, the only 'disadvantage' I can see from opting for the 'standard' 90 hour time limit is how busy the first few controls get. Well, I can live with that.

My 300 will be the Heart of England loop from, and back to, Cirencester on 26 April.

I, like you, am happy to rough it a bit and know that I can manage with minimal clothing kit. So, based on your reply, I'd like to think that I could do PBP with a very cleverly packed 9 litre - in fact it was the Super C Audax that I was looking at...that's not a newer name for the Barley, is it...?

And re: maps (when needed, like on my 300 and the SR series next spring/early summer), can I manage with well organised maps in my pocket/saddle bag and cope without a bar bag?

Thanks for your advice - I have a sneaking feeling I might be pestering you periodically over the next 18 months!

Ben
  • marcusjb
    Super C Audax is the same size as a Barley. It is roughly the same as a barley, just with clips rather than leather straps etc. It is the very bag I use for pretty much everything.

90 hour (Touriste) category is sensible for your first PBP for sure. I rode as a touriste and am glad I did, even though I finished in a time that meant I could have ridden as a vedette (80 hour group). Don't stress over the controls - yes the first few are very busy, and certainly around Loudeac on the second night when everyone is trying to get their first sleep stop. It is what it is - if you've pace on the road, then live by 'race out, tour back' and you will be fine. Basically try and get ahead of the bulge and race to Brest - it is hard to think of schedules yet, but something like a 500/400/300 works well for sleeps in the 90 hour groups - if you can manage it 600/300/300 is also very viable.

Maps - you will work it out how you want it to work. You see all sorts. Route sheet with an elastic band around the arm is a common one (so you can read the route sheet on the go).

I have never done the HoE, but it has a good reputation for sure.
  • marcusjb
    Also - remember that a Barley (or Super C Audax) has loops on the lid flap - get some straps and you can carry at least your rain jacket on top.

See this photo for the straps (and some ice!) - hasn't got my jacket in there (I think I was wearing it as it was rather cold!) - but you can fit a couple of items of clothing in the straps

8631884890_f13c4745b0_c.jpg

I do think, personally, a Barley would be too small for PBP - but I do like a clean pair of shorts after each sleep stop.
  • That Super C Audax looks HUGE! I'm going to get one with the intention that it will be my only bag (and then find an additional solution when I realise I was stupid...).

Now that I've lured you into becoming my reference source for all things Audax/PBP, two more questions (for now...), if I may:

1. Lights - My thought was ultimately to go for a dynamo hub for PBP, and the 400/600 before it. But I know I won't have those wheels built in time for the 300km in April. I'm pretty sure that my (excellent) Exposure light will not last long enough for the dark sections of the Heart of England. Any ideas? Given that I have one very good light and will shell out on a pair of good wheels to include a dynamo in early 2015, I really just need a cheapish (front light) solution for April...

2. Am I stupid to imagine that I would hope not to have 'guards on the bike for PBP...?

Thanks in advance for the myriad answers that I will be looking for from now on...!

Ben
  • marcusjb
    S'alright - happy to help where I can.

The bag isn't all that huge - soon fills up (but then there's the theory that you'll fill whatever you have anyway). The 9 litre size is almost the default here in the UK for everything up to 600 easily and then the 1000+ if you have a bag drop (or are very good at travelling light). As I said, I think I would struggle to do PBP with no bag drops with just the 9 litre bag.

I'm not really up on battery lights though - most of my bikes have dynohubs and lights - just easier for big mileage, plus you get stuff like USB charging for phones, GPS etc.

I have a Hope light and I reckon I'd be happy with that for single day rides - might start to annoy me on muilt-day rides!

Guards are not compulsory, and there will be huge numbers of riders without them on PBP (especially the French riders, of whom, many are supported by family who meet them at every control and feed them etc. - so they are really easy to spot as they are on carbon bikes with tiny saddle bags).

Mudguards in the UK - well - let's just say it's controversial - they used to be mandatory and plenty of older riders still bemoan the fact they are not. The UK is not known for it's great weather, and most riders do tend to have mudguards other than on the rare summer 200 when it is dry! Audax is very sociable - and this means riding in close proximity, whatever the weather. So, most of us tend to have big mudguard flaps to cut out the spray to the rider behind. Riders without mudguards may find themselves less welcome in a group when the weather is bad.

So, really it is your choice - you just have to accept without mudguards, you may be shunned a little - or have to join a group of other guardless riders!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I did my last 600km with a large Ortlieb (2.8L) and an Exposure MaXx-D. I packed way too much stuff and I'll do PBP with the same. The MaXx-D lasted ages as the high setting is a waste.

I don't use mudguards during audaxes. The saddlebag keeps my ass clean and it stops others from half-wheeling me.

The HoE 300k is a lovely ride and one of the easier 300k's on the calendar. Pretty sure I finished in the light even though I had a terrible 60 mile patch where I almost sh!t myself (should have used a bush instead of waiting for an appropriate control).

Any reason you're not doing the Super Randonneur? Seems a bit silly to just qualify on the back of a 300...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks for the reply and advice, Grill

I use 'guards on my fixie, which is my non-fair-weather and commuting (30 miles round) bike. My 'good' bike is steel and entirely compatible with mudguards. I'd be happy to put some on for PBP, but would like not to, if I can get away with it. Yes, the saddle bag stopping my backside getting soaked over 90 hours does sound good! But don't want to be responsible for spraying the hell out of any followers either. I think I can make that call late.

In terms of the HoE, it's a pre-qualify for me, just so I can apply for PBP entry a week or so earlier than general entry. It'll also be a good eye-opener for me. My longest single day ride was the Paris-Roubaix amateur ride (full 260km), and so I need to start becoming acquainted with the world of long distance. And yes, I'll be doing the SR from next spring - As far as I am aware I HAVE to do the 200/300/400/600 in order to take up an entry for PBP in the August. Doesn't everyone? I guess maybe previous PBP/other super randonee finishers don't need to do the qualifying SR, perhaps...?

Ben
  • marcusjb
    Everyone has to do a qualifying SR in 2015.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Apologies for hijacking the thread. Can the super audax be attached to a saddle that doesn't have saddle bag attachment thingies like Brooks for example!
  • marcusjb
    Garry H wrote:
    Apologies for hijacking the thread. Can the super audax be attached to a saddle that doesn't have saddle bag attachment thingies like Brooks for example!

Yes.

Carradice make a bunch of solutions.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... ag-fixings
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Not sure we need to get too hung up on pre qualifying. Last pbp was under subscribed and Max number of entrants is being increased next pbp. I think Marcus will concur.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • marcusjb
    meursault wrote:
    Not sure we need to get too hung up on pre qualifying. Last pbp was under subscribed and Max number of entrants is being increased next pbp. I think Marcus will concur.

Totally. Don't go crazy. Pre qualification will take a bit of stress away, but I don't think those without pre qualification will have troubles next year.

Certainly don't think that you need a 1000km ride to guarantee a place at PBP (as some people seem to be whipping themselves into a frenzy about).

I have a very keen personal interest in this, as my fiancée has expressed a desire to ride PBP on the tandem. She has ridden 200km rides before, but nothing longer. We would like to ride a 300 at minimum, maybe a 400. If I was worried that this was not enough to pre qualify, then I would be pushing her to do further - but I am more than happy if we only ride a 300 this year, it will be enough for her to get a place (I will ride at least one 1000km+ event this year, but nothing to do with PBP, just because I like long rides).

2011, I had no pre-qualification (having only started distance riding in late 2010) - it did mean a bit of stress the night before my first ever 600km when registration for non pre-qualified riders opened at midnight.

It was undersubscribed in the end - possibly due to the state of the economy, especially for US riders etc.

Who knows what will happen this year - the capacity is expanded to 6-6500 riders. Will it sell-out? Who knows.

Link to my thoughts on it all - http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/11/0 ... 2015-then/