A surprise encounter

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Just put it down to a learning experience.

Ok. I'll bite.

What's the lesson to be learned?
    My guess is that we've learnt that some twunts seem to think they are more important than mere mortals because they have a warrant card. Therefore if said self important phucktard is driving his motor down the road, that he probably believes he has paid for, anything slower should get out of his way because he has to hurry to wherever he's going without delay because he is more important than a swearing peasant on a bike.
    The bloke is a tool, the only lesson to learn is that approximately half of the people you meet will be bigger tossers than the average person. Quite scary really.
    If there is another lesson to learn beyond the fact that the world is full of pratts I'd love to hear it.
  • Ok. I'll bite.

When you're really rude to someone, some people will take it and some won't.

Where's last weeks video of the white Audi in London....?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Ok. I'll bite.

And there we have the nub of it. So, Colin, assuming that your job is as per your screen name, what would you do (other than learn a lesson)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ok. I'll bite.

That's *a* lesson.

Another might be: don't ever complain to a driver about their bad or intimidatory driving, because they might be an off duty PC who will then pull you over and give you a bollocking, backed by a warrant card, a notebook and a demand for identification, for having the temerity to complain about their bad or intimidatory driving.

Short version: put up with shit because the giver of shit might have power and be prepared to abuse it to "justify" the giving of shit.

Or are you suggesting that the whole "here's my warrant card and you should get out of my way because I'm coming through" is preferable in some way to taking a swing at the cyclist?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SecretSam wrote:
    So, Colin, assuming that your job is as per your screen name, what would you do (other than learn a lesson)?

What would I do...?

I'd remember that I've met people who have been stabbed purely for dressing as a waiter (black trousers, white shirt), he was accused of being an off duty cop so he was stabbed. I've dealt with people who've been left brain damaged for 'looking at someone'. There's a lot of bad people out there who do a lot of bad things with no justification.

Me...? I'd think the driver was a twat and mutter some obscenity under my breath and carry on cycling knowing that I'm on a bike and very vulnerable compared to the person behind the wheel.

You could spend your life being confrontational, very easy when you're in the right, but you can come out of it very badly.

Is it worth it for a bit of bad driving...? No, I don't think so.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    But what would you do now - having accidentally blown your top at an off duty police officer when he was acting like a fool ...

Action and re-action ... I think the OP can be forgiven for blowing his top - afawk he's not specifically trained in restraining his emotions - were as the off duty policeman SHOULD be able to control his emotions and whilst he may not be a police driver he should be operating within the law - including driving practices.

Some of the time Police do a difficult job - and for that they deserve some respect - but, it's a choice they made. I chose not be a police officer - but my role affects thousands of people too ... do I deserve any less respect just because I'm not facing a knife wielding maniac?

My experience of Police force & armed forces seems to be one of superiority - they're all interested in your rank - with Civilian being the lowest of the low. TBH, I don't give a stuff if they are a PC or Chief constable - or rating up to Admiral (yes I've been involved in them too) - we're all People - treat me with respect and you'll get it back - treat me with contempt and you'll get it back 2fold ...
    It seems that the higher up they get, the less bothered about rank they are - and they're the ones who are not bothered that I'm civilian ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, Colin, assuming that your job is as per your screen name, what would you do (other than learn a lesson)?

What would I do...?

I'd remember that I've met people who have been stabbed purely for dressing as a waiter (black trousers, white shirt), he was accused of being an off duty cop so he was stabbed. I've dealt with people who've been left brain damaged for 'looking at someone'. There's a lot of bad people out there who do a lot of bad things with no justification.

Me...? I'd think the driver was a fool and mutter some obscenity under my breath and carry on cycling knowing that I'm on a bike and very vulnerable compared to the person behind the wheel.

You could spend your life being confrontational, very easy when you're in the right, but you can come out of it very badly.

Is it worth it for a bit of bad driving...? No, I don't think so.

You speak wisely, Colin. I have thought about this a lot, and now know why I was so, er, expressive

A few years ago, I was riding past Regent's Park (Londontown), nice clear day, and I became aware of a powerful car (not an Alfa, but coincidentally black also) sitting up my chuff. A (black) Merc SL, LHD, Spanish plates.

I held my (perfectly OK, secondary stylee) line but car stayed very close. I was by now getting quite scared, this guy kept trying to overtake but road was busy the other way. In the end I indicated that I thought he should "back off" a bit, then he got really aggressive, and frankly I lost it.

Eventually, he did overtake, and leant out of his window (being left hand drive, this was on my side) and in his best Spanglish gave me his opinion of me in no uncertain terms. Then cut in front of me, making me swerve, before roaring off.

Oddly enough, I knew him. A certain Cesc Fabregas, who may be a fine footballer but is and always will be a total fcuking wnaker as well.

This - plus various other incidents, near hits, actual hits, etc - have rather dimmed my view of aggressive driving...but I do need to keep a lid on it...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    But what would you do now - having accidentally blown your top at an off duty police officer when he was acting like a fool ...

I'd realise I perhaps shouldn't have blown my top.... :roll:

But if I got stopped by some in an unmarked car and not in uniform...?

I'd phone 999 and explain what had happened and ask them to send a marked vehicle to my location to confirm the identity of this person who has stopped me and is claiming to be a Police Officer.

Yes, he's produced a warrant card, but how many people know what a warrant card looks like...? Or can say for sure it hasn't been knocked up on photoshop...?
  • make a complaint, mis use of horn, threatening and aggressive behaviour with a vehicle, not giving way to traffic that has priority in front ie You and was he off duty, if so, he can't do anything nor can he put himself on duty.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

I'd realise I perhaps shouldn't have blown my top.... :roll:

But if I got stopped by some in an unmarked car and not in uniform...?

I'd phone 999 and explain what had happened and ask them to send a marked vehicle to my location to confirm the identity of this person who has stopped me and is claiming to be a Police Officer.

Yes, he's produced a warrant card, but how many people know what a warrant card looks like...? Or can say for sure it hasn't been knocked up on photoshop...?

Well - the first bit is a given - the vast majority of us realise we shouldn't blow our tops - after the event !!

999 ? Really? I suppose it depends if he's threatening violence or detention - but if it's just words is 999 really the best number?!

No idea what a warrant card looks like - but be assured, he wouldn't be getting any details off me unless a uniform turned up to arrest me ... ;)
  • You could phone 101 but your battery is likely to die as you're waiting for answer.

But yeah, in the circumstances described, i'd phone 999.
  • Team4Luke wrote:
    and was he off duty, if so, he can't do anything nor can he put himself on duty.

I'm tempted to answer this, but i'm pretty sure you're faking stupidity and don't really think that.

:roll:
  • slowbike
    You could phone 101 but your battery is likely to die as you're waiting for answer.

But yeah, in the circumstances described, i'd phone 999.

Probably easier to just call him a twat and ride off .... ;)