Decent frameset under £1K ?

polyx
polyx Posts: 112
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Apologies for another such topic but really need an advice here.

The only thing I really want is internal cable routing. (but can live without it, if frame set really good)

At the moment options are

1. Ribble R872 (~£500 they still have -12% offer)
2. PlanetX N2A (£800)
3.Trigon TR426 (£900) (Trigon received good reviews in the past so I might consider)

Not the biggest names here, but not care too much either if frames are good.
Another option is to search for something on London Bike show this Feb.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks!

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Why not also consider a china import from the likes of Dengfu Bikes. I don't think you will see much difference in quality, stiffness or weight vs any of the above and you can get it custom painted any colour by them. Thats what I did for my winter bike and it cost <£400. Leaves more budget for groupset or wheels.

I went for an FM029 with internal cabling - have done 900 miles so fat with no issues. there is a thread on "Your Road bikes" if you want a pic of how it built up - search "orange Monster"
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Is that just the brake cable (inside the top tube) or can they do clever things with gear cables too?
  • polyx
    Calpol wrote:
    Why not also consider a china import from the likes of Dengfu Bikes. I don't think you will see much difference in quality, stiffness or weight vs any of the above and you can get it custom painted any colour by them. Thats what I did for my winter bike and it cost <£400. Leaves more budget for groupset or wheels.

I went for an FM029 with internal cabling - have done 900 miles so fat with no issues. there is a thread on "Your Road bikes" if you want a pic of how it built up - search "orange Monster"

Thanks! Yeah great looking frame, just would like to have a UK warranty.
    I've got 6800 grouppo on sale as well as Fulcrum 5s. So all I need is a frame and want to invest 1K wisely..
    No rush though, still riding my alu bike and want to make a careful choice.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Take a look at Dolan frames.
  • CAAD10, bit biased but its a cracker.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    If a 52 or 54 fits Slane cycles have scott cr1 sl's for £799.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Why does it have to be carbon?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Steel with external routing, but I can't stop singing the praise of my Road Logic 2.0. :D
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • £749 loads of places. That's just excellent. Truly excellent.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • My recent shortlist for the same thing:

Carbon:
    Planet X Pro SL Carbon (Old but well-proven design, true 1.1kg)
    Planet X RT-58 (New, looks good but somewhat unproven, claims sub-kilo but no record of true weight)
    Ribble R872 (Well respected, excellent frame, shares identical mold with much more expensive De Rosa R838, weighs 1.2kg not sub 1.0kg as advertised)

Ti:
    Planet X ti Pro (Rebranded Van Nicholas, claimed 1.4kg, 10 year guarantee)
    Burls ti (Made to measure frame designed in UK, built in Russia by the guys that made ti frames for Colnago back in the day, true weight 1.3-1.4kg)
    Various models on offer at Fatbirds.co.uk from Lynskey, Sabbath, Van Nic

Steel:
    Love it but happy with my old 531c warhorse

Aluminium:
    CAAD 10 (benchmark Al frame, actual weight 1.2kg despite lots of loud claims of 1.1kg)
    Canyon (Mail order only, highly respected beautifully built frames, ?kg)
    Rose (See above)
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    I would go for one of these:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/road-frames/sintesi-m2-aero-framekit

Out of the ordinary but a well respected Italian manufacturer who made their name with Mountain BIkes.. I bought a Sintesi Road Blade frame a couple of years ago and it made a great light road bike.

Just my 2p....

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Scott Foil at Westbrooks for £999 down from £1749.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You really need to consider this frameset, the ride is superb and light.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/ ... ht/aithein

For around £600 you can put more money towards the group set or some flash wheels.

• +1 probably the best carbon frame set mentioned so far. At least its Canyons design and not off the shelf + you get the extras too.
    Bozman wrote:
    Scott Foil at Westbrooks for £999 down from £1749.

The Scott too.
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Grill wrote:
    Steel with external routing, but I can't stop singing the praise of my Road Logic 2.0. :D

I agree to this!! Although Have a look at Condor frames, carbon or steel whatever is your poison ;)
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ritchey frames uhmmmm I have an old scot Pro Racing MTB given it is early 1900's steel and a big frame it weight 1600g. Ritchey use some nice tubes. Uhmmmm.

Plenty of good frames. Deda have the aluminiuno or however you spell it for light aluminium.

So much to chose from you could even get a Burls Ti frame for less than a grand. Custom steel is an option check out Taylormade for that Angus who does the building builds just gorgous frames around £600 for a complete R853 frame as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Hong Fu FM-066SL
    sub 1kg, and you can pick them up for about £500 painted.

I'm just build two of them up for mates.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Do people on here not read posts previous to theirs, apparently not, the OP has stated he would like a UK warranty, so why recommendations for Chinese or Canyon frames? Just an observation.
  • polyx
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Very helpful! Been at GB Cycles today had a look to some Argons18. They're lovely but so the price tag :D Think might go with Ribble and potentially can save up for some sort of powermeter.
    Thanks a lot again!
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The R872 is a very nice frameset, good choice.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Argons are on sale at Primera a a few other places.
    Ive had aPlanet X N2A and one of the Scott CR1SLs that Slane have, both very good.
    The Ribble R872 looks very good vfm.
    Tell us your size and we can tell you what's in our lbs.
    Bound to be something on offer somewhere that suits you.
    I got a Swift off EBay for £440 !
    Check it out in the your road bike section.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Oh and the Dedaciai Gladiatori is about £800
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • polyx
    I've gone for Ribble R872 and finished the build yesterday, subsequently taking it for a quick test ride.
    Boy! I've never ridden anything like this before! I can compare it to Cervelo S2 which I rode last season, and I must admit R872 wins hands down.

Such a smooth and powerful ride!
    Service from Ribble was truly excellent! Frame delivered in 4 days from ordering.

Also Ultegra 6800 is just an Ace! Ridden 6700 before I must tell 6800 is a MASSIVE jump forward!
    Overall bike cost around 1200, which is virtually impossible to buy such a bike off from the market.