Il Falco

2»

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I spent the afternoon shouting at the TV. Cheating Belgian bastards.

Me too. Disco had 12 doms that day.
    Great, great stage though and overall, a fantastic Giro.

Can you give me some background....

The Belgian reference or great Giro?

Disco hired the Lotto boys, half way up the Finestre.
    Wim Van Huffel and Mauricio Ardila sat in front of Il Falco and towed him for km after km.
    Still, Simoni had taken virtual pink by the top, then held until Paolo did his descending bit
    and Gibo became the second of his 3 man group to get cramp, climbing to Sestrieres.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I haven't watched that stage for years. Seeing Honchar and Rodriguez in the same group is a bit odd. I think of them in completely different eras.
    Amazing to watch Simoni again, gliding uphill on his six13
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    What sort of drug makes you ride downhill really fast?
    Cocaine

Speed obviously.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    ddraver wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I spent the afternoon shouting at the TV. Cheating Belgian bastards.

Me too. Disco had 12 doms that day.
    Great, great stage though and overall, a fantastic Giro.

Can you give me some background....

The Belgian reference or great Giro?

Disco hired the Lotto boys, half way up the Finestre.
    Wim Van Huffel and Mauricio Ardila sat in front of Il Falco and towed him for km after km.
    Still, Simoni had taken virtual pink by the top, then held until Paolo did his descending bit
    and Gibo became the second of his 3 man group to get cramp, climbing to Sestrieres.

Pretty much.

The Lotto boys got an earful from the Belgian press after that.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Macaloon wrote:
    Behind the scenes, at rayjay's

Nice post, My wife laughed.

I'm now off to do the vacuuming,,,,,,,,no choice or she will beat me to death with her fighting sticks :lol:
  • The Giro 2005 was when I moved from being a TDF only fan to full time addict, and that stage was what cemented it for me.

They day before was a decent stage as well, that Basso won. Been thinking about cracking the DVD out again recently, this has confirmed that I'll watch it over the next few weeks.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I used to just take a bit of interest in the tour, Armstrong , Ulrich. years.

You start to get to know the riders and what they are good at and then all of a sudden it's Sunday afternoon your staying in to watch a race you have never even heard of.

What I find interesting is watching some of the old footage that is available.

The riders seemed to be more charismatic.

Postal introduced a new feel into the tour and although we did have some exciting moments IMO that's when the tour started to become a world wide commercial monster and it started to lose some of it's soul.

I think the Giro. Vuelta , the classics are much more in line with the feelings I get when I watch some of the older racing.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think riders look more human stretched out, old school style, and more robotic in the compact modern 'aero' profile. The effort seems more tangible to me - which probably explains why they don't ride like that now.

As for charisma, it's about time some of these teams started putting the 'pro' back into confessional and delivered what the fans want most of all. Feuds. Intra-team preferred, but we'll take Nibali mercilessly mocking nodding-Dawg's style. Some serious bad boy action is what this sport needs to go next-level. It's badly missed.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Lol, part of me agrees there. Rivalry evokes strong human responses and would be great for the fans.

Good point re Giro etc being more old school...its definitely my favourite race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Typical Americans, coming in and ruining everything. No American's ever won the Giro or Vuelta, bet they've never heard of them.

Thinking about it, are there any real rivalries in the sport at the minute? You can't call Cav vs Kittel a rivalry because they're always saying how they respect each other.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Typical Americans, coming in and ruining everything. No American's ever won the Giro or Vuelta, bet they've never heard of them.

Aside from Andy Hamspten, of course :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Typical Americans, coming in and ruining everything. No American's ever won the Giro or Vuelta, bet they've never heard of them.

Aside from Andy Hamspten, of course :P

And, um, Chris Horner?

You lot having short term memory loss??? :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Haha can't believe it took that long for someone to notice.

I was jesting of course. Or does it not count because I didn't put a winky face?
  • Savoldelli notoriously showed hematocrit at 49% on a few occasions... I really liked Savoldelli
    left the forum March 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Haha can't believe it took that long for someone to notice.

I was jesting of course. Or does it not count because I didn't put a winky face?

The art of the deadpan is dead. Long live the smiley.

:(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Haha can't believe it took that long for someone to notice.

The art of the deadpan is dead. Long live the smiley.

:(

:D:):(:o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :|:mrgreen:
  • Another charmed career finally exposed.
    He's been working for Rai since his retirement, as their resident
    studio/commentator "expert" and from the back of the motor bike,
    during the Giro.
    I guess he can kiss that goodbye.

Will this mean that Gibo will eventually get that 3rd Giro title that eluded
    him?

:D:D:D
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Another charmed career finally exposed.
    He's been working for Rai since his retirement, as their resident
    studio/commentator "expert" and from the back of the motor bike,
    during the Giro.
    I guess he can kiss that goodbye.
    Will this mean that Gibo will eventually get that 3rd Giro title that eluded
    him?
    :D:D:D
    Blazing Saddles is wrong about Savoldelli still being a studio expert at RAI. He was in the past, but then in March 2013 he was dismissed by RAI for whatever reason. Martinello, sometimes Cassani, and others hauled-in-for-the–day were the experts last Giro.

However, since it became known that Cassani was moving on to bigger and better things, there has been an online petition going on over the last 3-4 weeks in Italy, to try and persuade RAI to to take Il Falco back in place of Cassani. Here’s the link if you want to join in:

http://www.change.org/it/petizioni/rai-rivogliamo-savoldelli-commentatore-in-rai

Whether that’ll lose momentum in view of the latest news is of course another matter.

(I always thought he was anyway overrated as a rider)
  • Apologies for not realising he'd been sacked, although I had noticed he'd gone missing.
    I'd just assumed he had other commitments.

If he was "quietly" dismissed in March, there's one, obvious dot that could connect.
    At least it would make my conclusion right!
  • His hematocrit value after the Madonna di Campiglio stage in 1999 that caught out Pantani was 49.9%, so 0.1% safe. Refused to wear the pink jersey next day.
  • His hematocrit value after the Madonna di Campiglio stage in 1999 that caught out Pantani was 49.9%, so 0.1% safe. Refused to wear the pink jersey next day.

That may have been partly in fear of what the Tifosi would have done to him had he elected to wear it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • “I never used doping products. I’m tranquillissimo, very calm,” Savoldelli said, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. “If I wasn’t calm, I wouldn’t even have come. I’m not registered anymore and I haven’t raced for five years.”

Savoldelli downplayed speculation that his was one of the redacted names (“Rider 1”) in the testimony provided by former teammate Tom Danielson to USADA on the doping programme in place at Discovery Channel. Danielson described how “Rider 1,” a fellow Ferrari client, had organised a system for obtaining EPO during the 2006 Giro d’Italia. “I went to Rider 1 and asked him if he could help me with EPO for the race but he said that he had only enough for himself,” Danielson said.

“Of course I know him, but I don’t know English and he doesn’t know Italian, so how could we have discussed it?” Savoldelli said of Danielson, according to Corriere della Sera. “Danielson was given a two-year ban that was reduced to six months for collaborating, so what he says should be taken with a grain of salt. You only need to read his confession with intelligence to realise what it’s worth.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savolde ... ry-channel
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's just copped a 2 year 8 month ban for doping and working with Dr Ferrari
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's just copped a 2 year 8 month ban for doping and working with Dr Ferrari

Can you be banned from retirement?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Yep. He'll be forced to do a 200+ tommorrow morning - and it's not on the Vespa..
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Savoldelli has got a gig commentating for Sky Italia's Bike Channel.
    Watching a repeat of the Dwars d V, this morning and I thought:
    "hang on, I know that voice......"
    Checked and there he was.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I'm guessing zero tolerance doesn't extend to their presenters then!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:
    I'm guessing zero tolerance doesn't extend to their presenters then!

I've had to tolerate some shocking sports commenatators on Sky, when I'd have loved some zero tolerance