Which CX Bike?

crossed
crossed Posts: 237
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
I'm in the process of getting bits together to build up a CX bike but I'm not sure which frame to go for.

The build so far will consist of

Wheels - Hope Pro II Evo hubs with Stans Iron Cross rims
Brakes - Hope V-Twin
Drivetrain - 42t Absolute Black thick/thin chainring with Ultegra 11/28 cassette
Shifters - SRAM Apex
Mech - SRAM X0 Type 2
Chainset - FSA Gossamer Mega EXO

I'll be looking to use the bike for commuting, possibly the summer CX series then the Central league CX races at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind using it as a roadbike as well through the summer if I could.

I'm undecided as to which frame to go for at the moment, currently undecided between the Kinesis Pro6, Planet X Pro Carbon or possibly the Dirty Disco when it's available.
I quite like the look of the Kinesis frame but I'm not sure what they ride like and can't seem to get hold of a demo from anywhere.
Any other frames I should look into?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm very impressed with the Planet X XLS as a race frame. It doesn't have any braze-ons for rack/mudguards if that's an issue, though it will take bottle holders. The Pro6 looks like almost identical geometry, and does have the braze-ons (and seems to be pretty popular on the race circuit).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Both are good frames for what you want, there are better frames, but we don't know your budget.

One comment regarding your gearing. While 42-11 is likely going to be fine for road use, unless you like sprinting downhill, 42-28 will leave you a bit short in cross races, unless you are very strong.

I run a 36 single ring, and spend a lot of time on the 28 sprocket in races, and I am not completely without power.

If it's more of a road bike than a race bike, then I'd consider keeping a double ring.
  • Have a look at the Genesis Fugio http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/adventure/fugio. I've just picked up a Croix de Fer as I wanted it more as a winter trainer than a CX race steed, but the Fugio gets good reviews from what I've heard (and looks pretty damn good).
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    VamP wrote:
    Both are good frames for what you want, there are better frames, but we don't know your budget.

One comment regarding your gearing. While 42-11 is likely going to be fine for road use, unless you like sprinting downhill, 42-28 will leave you a bit short in cross races, unless you are very strong.

I run a 36 single ring, and spend a lot of time on the 28 sprocket in races, and I am not completely without power.

If it's more of a road bike than a race bike, then I'd consider keeping a double ring.
    Agreed. I've been running 33/44 (soon to be something more like 33/40) and 12-28, and never once used the big ring during a race; bear in mind that your average speed is going to be somewhere around 12mph (don't worry, it feels a lot faster!) and in climbing out of the saddle can be tricky when traction gets marginal. I'm not that much slower than VamP.

For road riding and races, I'd think about something like 34/46.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but the title pretty much summed up my question. So I'm looking to build up a CX bike for the commute/light off raod and when complete it will replace my hard tail that currently does the job.

Looking at the framesets I can get/afford/want I can either pick up a new Kaffenback 2, a Genesis Croix De Fer or a second hand merida cyclo cross 4, which you go for?
    FCN 7
  • I'm just finishing building up a Croix de Fer 931 as my winter/commute/light off road bike and can't wait to get out on it. I can't speak for the ride as yet but I am very pleased with the way it's come together. My advice: don't spend as long fannying about over the frameset decision as I did and just crack on with it! :lol:
  • crossed
    VamP wrote:

The FSA chainset comes with 46/36t rings which I was planning on keeping so I can swap back to them if needed and I've also got a new 11-32 cassette and an Apex mech which would work with it sitting in the shed so hopefully It'll cover any eventuality!
    I was undecided between the 38t or 42t Absolute Black ring, I though the 38t might be better for CX races but figured that I might have to just get both and see how I get on with them as I think the 38t may be a bit on the small side for any road riding.

Budget-wise, I was looking around the £500 mark for the frame. There doesn't really seem to be much available in the £500-£1000 range, unless I'm looking in the wrong places and I can't really justify going up beyond that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Very pleased with my Pro6, unfortunately can't really compare it to the others as I've not ridden them. I didn't manage to try one befroe I bought it, but I did have a sit on one at the London Bike Show last year and as I ordered the frame through Sigma Sport they did a mini bike fit to confirm size and give an idea on component sizes.
  • crossed
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Very pleased with my Pro6, unfortunately can't really compare it to the others as I've not ridden them. I didn't manage to try one befroe I bought it, but I did have a sit on one at the London Bike Show last year and as I ordered the frame through Sigma Sport they did a mini bike fit to confirm size and give an idea on component sizes.

The sizing has been something I'm unsure about.
    I've tried a 53cm Boardman CX which is probably a little on the small side and the road bike I've been using is a 58cm and feels like it's a bit stretched out.
    From what I've worked out the 57cm is probably going to be the best size for me.

I've tried calling about but haven't managed to find anywhere with a Pro6 demo bike, never mind a 54cm and a 57cm to sit on.
  • veronese68
    Where are you? If you're anywhere near Kingston you would be welcome to have a sit on mine and try it for size. It's a 57cm.
    Obviously I wouldn't want it out of my sight unless I were in possession of your first born or something.
  • crossed
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Where are you? If you're anywhere near Kingston you would be welcome to have a sit on mine and try it for size. It's a 57cm.
    Obviously I wouldn't want it out of my sight unless I were in possession of your first born or something.

I'm not too far from you then!
    It would be great if I could have a look at yours, I'm just wanting to sit on it really to gauge the size of the frame. I'll PM you and hopefully we can sort something out :)

Edit: Just noticed that the PM system's a bit broken. Could you send me an email to the address in my profile if you get a chance?
  • veronese68
    Crossed wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'm not too far from you then!
    It would be great if I could have a look at yours, I'm just wanting to sit on it really to gauge the size of the frame. I'll PM you and hopefully we can sort something out :)

Edit: Just noticed that the PM system's a bit broken. Could you send me an email to the address in my profile if you get a chance?
    Email thing doesn't work from my phone. I'll try again when I'm on a PC.
  • Do you already have a wolftooth 42t chainring? If not ive got one that i'l let go for less than they will charge.

Cheers
  • crossed
    Do you already have a wolftooth 42t chainring? If not ive got one that i'l let go for less than they will charge.

Cheers

Yes, got the chainring sitting waiting to go on already. Thanks for the offer though.

I've just been looking into the measurements of the Kinesis frames against the 53cm Boardman CX which I've tried in the past.
    When I put the measurements into a bike geometry comparison thing, it appears that the 54cm comes up slightly smaller than the Boardman and the 57cm slightly bigger.
    As I found the Boardman to be a little on the small side, I think the 57cm is going to be the way to go.
  • Crossed wrote:
    I'm in the process of getting bits together to build up a CX bike but I'm not sure which frame to go for.

The build so far will consist of

Wheels - Hope Pro II Evo hubs with Stans Iron Cross rims
    Brakes - Hope V-Twin
    Drivetrain - 42t Absolute Black thick/thin chainring with Ultegra 11/28 cassette
    Shifters - SRAM Apex
    Mech - SRAM X0 Type 2
    Chainset - FSA Gossamer Mega EXO

I'll be looking to use the bike for commuting, possibly the summer CX series then the Central league CX races at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind using it as a roadbike as well through the summer if I could.

I'm undecided as to which frame to go for at the moment, currently undecided between the Kinesis Pro6, Planet X Pro Carbon or possibly the Dirty Disco when it's available.
    I quite like the look of the Kinesis frame but I'm not sure what they ride like and can't seem to get hold of a demo from anywhere.
    Any other frames I should look into?
    http://www.condorcycles.com/2011-Range/ ... e.tpl.html

or the Bivio. I love my Bivio. I opted for that cos I needed mudguard mounts. Otherwise would have gone for this.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Crossed wrote:
    VamP wrote:

The FSA chainset comes with 46/36t rings which I was planning on keeping so I can swap back to them if needed and I've also got a new 11-32 cassette and an Apex mech which would work with it sitting in the shed so hopefully It'll cover any eventuality!
    I was undecided between the 38t or 42t Absolute Black ring, I though the 38t might be better for CX races but figured that I might have to just get both and see how I get on with them as I think the 38t may be a bit on the small side for any road riding.

Budget-wise, I was looking around the £500 mark for the frame. There doesn't really seem to be much available in the £500-£1000 range, unless I'm looking in the wrong places and I can't really justify going up beyond that.

Maybe take a look at the Winspace frame.

It's a bit more expensive than the PX but comes in at 1000g which is very light. By comparison the PX is around 1200g, the Pro6 1500g and the steel is real(ly heavy) Genesis at 1850g.

I am a bit of a weight weenie, so if you don't share that affliction, disregard.
  • crossed
    I've decided to go with the 57cm Pro6 in the end, the 54cm was going to be too small by the looks of it.

Hopefully the frame will arrive this week some time and I can have it built up for this weekend :D
  • veronese68
    A good choice. Don't forget to stick some pictures up once it's done.