Tyres for water logged Swinley

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking to go to Swinley this weekend or next. However, when I took the 8500 (HT) out last the Race Kings got a bit clogged up.

I was thinking of buying the Mountain King II 2.2 or the Baron 2.3, possibly the Rubber Queen.

Any thoughts on tyres for the current water logged Swinley Blue and Red, possibly black routs?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    amazon have got black chilli protection mountain king 2.2's for £25
  • I was at Swinley yesterday (30th) there are numerous sections of both trails (red & Blue) shut for maintenance or flooding. So most of the sections that have been a problem in the past are currently a no-go. The parts that are open are either running fast as they have washed back to the base layer gravel or are so wet that the mud is liquid enough not to block the tread. I had a Hans Dampf out front and a High Roller 2 out back and I found it was plenty grippy with only the transistion sections between the trails being particuarly bad. I was just having problems with my brakes dragging from flicked up grit and dirt.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I run Mountain Kings, they are a good all round all season tyre, they are great in the dry, perform well in the wet, bit lacking over wet roots/rocks but no worse than most, I haven't particularly struggled with them clogging badly but in mud more than say 4/5in in depth they struggle for purchase.

The Baron is a much better wet tyre than the mountain king or rubber queen, much better grip in deep mud and it doesn't clog... but I would personally only use it as a wet/mud tyre, for dry conditions I think the mountain/race/rubber queens are a better choice.

My two cents - If you are looking to replace the Race Kings and want an all rounder then the Mountain King or Rubber Queen... if you want a "wet option" in addition to the Race Kings then the Baron.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Thanks for the responses.

For clarity, I am looking for a sh one tty conditions tyre to accompany the Race Kings.

Thinking on the Baron or the 1.8 Mud King; lets see what offers are around.

I cannot for the life of me find my Velociraptors!!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bonty Mud X, Spesh Storm Control or Schwalbe Dirty Dan (lighter but more fragile) are excellent general winter tyres. IMO Swinley never gets that muddy, it gets wet and gritty, but I'd use Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs there in virtually any conditions without too many worries.
  • Might be hard to get these days but a Tioga blue dragon up front : excellent grip and mud shedding.