XT brakes small sliver screw?

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Quick question. I have just bought and installed some XT brakes to my Stumpy FSR. I need to adjust the free stroke on the rear a it rubs a touch but other than that they look amazing and work really

In the box there is what looks like a small silver screw but I cannot see what is it for and the instruction don't say anything about it.

Anyone have any idea what it's for?

Thanks,

Ben :-)
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Help us help you:
    Which XT brakes? (model number)
    New or secondhand?
    Picture of screw?
    Have you checked http://techdocs.shimano.com ?
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Right then.

BR M775 brand new.

Had a look on the link you sent me and couldn't make it out. It was loose in the box so maybe something to do with bleeding. I'll get a picture later.

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    It's not a screw, its what you put into the end of the hose after cutting down and resizing.

It's worth keeping, along with the olive kit and hose vice clamps if you ever want to cut the hoses down.
  • Ah ha! Thanks very much for that Mr Oxo!

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Shimano run bigger rotor clearance than any other brake on the market.
    If it is rubbing, the disc is bent, the caliper not aligned, the system is overfilled or you have sticky piston.

To check if it is overfilled, just take the wheel out and press the pads/pistons back into the caliper.
    If it is too full, pressing one in will push the other out.
    If OK both should be able to be pushed all the way back into the housing at the same time.
    If too full, simply open screw and excess fluid will usually push itself out.

If a piston is sticky, remove pads, push pistons far out of housing and clean the sides with alcohol, push back in and see how it goes.
    If still sticky, push them back out and get a cotton bud wetted with a small amount of shimano brake fluid and carefully lube the piston sides.
    Push piston back in, wipe clean any exposed surfaces, fit pads and check again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano run bigger rotor clearance than any other brake on the market.
    If it is rubbing, the disc is bent, the caliper not aligned, the system is overfilled or you have sticky piston.

To check if it is overfilled, just take the wheel out and press the pads/pistons back into the caliper.
    If it is too full, pressing one in will push the other out.
    If OK both should be able to be pushed all the way back into the housing at the same time.
    If too full, simply open screw and excess fluid will usually push itself out.

If a piston is sticky, remove pads, push pistons far out of housing and clean the sides with alcohol, push back in and see how it goes.
    If still sticky, push them back out and get a cotton bud wetted with a small amount of shimano brake fluid and carefully lube the piston sides.
    Push piston back in, wipe clean any exposed surfaces, fit pads and check again.

Not sure where or why all that came from for a question about a hose insert, but I would be a bit wary of some advice, like "open screw". Wonder if there could be more than one?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the info. I now know that the free stroke has nothing to do with pad engagement!

As above that the rear is rubbing a touch and upon further investigation I can see my rear disc is vey slightly warped so that would be it. it's so minimal though so I can live with that.

The brakes are new so I shouldn't think they would be overfilled. Which screw are you talking about? Is that on the calliper or master cylinder?

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • The screw dude. This guy knows about brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mudsucker wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I now know that the free stroke has nothing to do with pad engagement!

As above that the rear is rubbing a touch and upon further investigation I can see my rear disc is vey slightly warped so that would be it. it's so minimal though so I can live with that.

The brakes are new so I shouldn't think they would be overfilled. Which screw are you talking about? Is that on the calliper or master cylinder?

Don't mess with them if they work. 99.98745787478% of all brake problems (don't argue, you know I'm right) are caused by people messing around and farking them up when there is nothing wrong in the first place.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks Cooldad! I hate working on brakes so I'll take your advice and leave well alone :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.