Are wheel bearings a standard size?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have an old Carrera Vulcan, and the front wheel is loose on the axle, if I am stripping it down to take a look at the bearings, I may as well replace them, are they a standard size, or are there many different sizes, and the only way to get the right ones are to take them to a shop?

Also, I am going in the right direction for searching for the problem aren't I? Could it be as simple as the lock ring and cone have become loose?

Meant to be going out on Sunday, so need to get it sorted :)

Thanks in advance
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are probably cup and cone bearings which are servicable.
    There are service instructions on the Park Tools website.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    KevChallis wrote:
    if I am stripping it down to take a look at the bearings, I may as well replace them, are they a standard size, or are there many different sizes, and the only way to get the right ones are to take them to a shop?

Also, I am going in the right direction for searching for the problem aren't I? Could it be as simple as the lock ring and cone have become loose?

Depends entirely on the hub - if they're cartridge bearings then you won't remove play by servicing, you need to replace them - you just need to drift them out and read the code off the side to get the right replacements.

If they're cup and cone bearings, then yes, it may be something as simple as a loose locknut and cone causing the play, but if you need to tighten things up you may as well service the hubs while you're at it with new balls and grease. If you can find out the make and model of the hub it's easier to get the right size (especially if they're shimano, due to the excellent techdocs service), but failing that you're right that taking them to an LBS is better than guesswork.
  • Thank you to you both.

I will strip the hub later for a little more investigation and replace what needs replacing, and re grease if needed too also

Thanks
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Just been out to the garage, and indeed, I could loosen the lock but with my fingers!! Although one other issue I have, the quick release 'shaft' that goes through the axle, is wobbling a small amount too (with the axle being held still) is this normal?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jimothy78
    You mean the skewer.

if it's wobbling with the wheel in the frame and the quick release tightened, then, yes, it's a problem. if it's moving about within the axle when not tightened, then no, it's not a problem.

Don't just tighten the cone and locknut until they stop turning - that's too tight and will wreck your hubs. You need to tighten them so that there is a barely-perceptible amount of play between the hub and axle (when not mounted) which will disappear when the wheel is mounted and the skewer fully tightened.
  • Thanks again, a big help

Kev
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jimothy78
    It's quite a lot to get your head round, but worth the investment of your time to get the job done properly, especially the last bit on adjusting the cones and locknuts properly:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Just for future reference when you bite the bullet and replace the ball bearings...

Front hubs usually use 3/16" balls and rear hubs usually use 1/4" balls.
    You can buy them online in packs of 10+ or pick some up cheaply from a local bearing shop.

Also goes without saying that you'll need some grease to put in there too. Bike shops have always recommended lithium based grease to me, and it's reasonably cheap stuff.
  • Thanks for that, will get some ordered up and hopefully they are the right size :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't use lithium grease. It turns to soap. Use a teflon or silicone based grease. Or just basic WB or greasy grease from Halfords. Cheap for a big tin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Vulcan uses a formula hub as standard, that uses standard 3/16 balls.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Can you use copper grease?
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    vfast1 wrote:
    Can you use copper grease?
    For what?

It is not a grease it is an anti seize.

And should go NO way near bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • All changed and running nice and smooth, although, it's got an odd cup and cone design, and even with the grease the bearing kept falling through the hub lol

Thanks for all your help
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the balls adare smaller than the axle that is hardly a huge surprise!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    As the balls adare smaller than the axle that is hardly a huge surprise!

No, I suppose not haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango