Water bottles for non-cyclists

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
My Mrs (a roller derby player) is going to kill me for sharing this with the world but here we go anyway. Had a chat with her about 'borrowing' numerous Camelbak water bottles off me without asking and even losing a couple and not replacing them, once leaving me to do 4 hour club rides with just one bottle! Have bought her her own Camelbak bottle and given her more other ones as well , all but one of which she has lost, yet still won't buy her own. Her justification for not buying ever buying a water bottle in the 5 or so years she's been playing is "I've never needed to" :roll:

Anyway aside from that little tale, what actually prompted me to start this thread is that her team sponsor's website, which is a shop that sells roller derby gear, don't even sell water bottles! I find it odd that a business that sells equipment for a sport that's played indoors even in the high temperatures of Summer, doesn't even sell something as basic as a plastic drinks receptacle.

Now obviously you can pick up water bottles from places like Sports direct but is there anywhere (other than bike shops) that you would recommend to a non-cyclist buying decent quality water bottles?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Sellers of outdoorsey type stuff. Climbing/hiking shops and the like.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Go Outdoors.

Or just buy bottled water - no need for a fancy looking bottle.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    A plastic bottle that something else came in? If she's so inclined to misplace her gear then durability falls out of the equation...

Cycling bottles need to be specific because they need to be used one handed and the right/size/shape/stiffness for the cage - not so other sports.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Sorry to side track, but what is roller derby?
    Roller skating, roller hockey, yes. Roller Derby, no idea??? :oops:
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I thought it was a campaign to drive steam rollers across the city.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pituophis wrote:

Pervy women in fishnets fighting each other whilst rollerskating round a track irrc :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Pervy women in fishnets fighting each other whilst rollerskating round a track irrc :D

Is it really this? I hope so :twisted:
    I can't remember why though :(
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Herbsman wrote:
    Now obviously you can pick up water bottles from places like Sports direct but is there anywhere (other than bike shops) that you would recommend to a non-cyclist buying decent quality water bottles?

Yeah, a bike shop(?), what's stopping someone who doesn't ride a bike from buying something from a bike shop?
  • Herbsman
    mfin wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Yeah, a bike shop(?), what's stopping someone who doesn't ride a bike from buying something from a bike shop?
    Where in my post did I say that there was anything stopping non-cyclists from buying something from a bike shop? I think you'll find I didn't say that at all.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    eBay?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Herbsman wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Where in my post did I say that there was anything stopping non-cyclists from buying something from a bike shop? I think you'll find I didn't say that at all.

It's implied in the question. Because, unless non-cyclists can't buy from bike shops, the answer is obvious and the question is moot.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Is it still a cycling bottle if not used by a cyclist when a tree falls in a forest and there's nobody there to hear it?
  • Herbsman
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

It's implied in the question. Because, unless non-cyclists can't buy from bike shops, the answer is obvious and the question is moot.
    In your mind, maybe. I didn't imply anything of the sort but feel free to believe that thought, however deluded it may be.

I was simply asking a question. I shouldn't have to justify it but if you really must know why I asked, it's because we never just happen to be passing by a bike shop as there aren't any close to where we live or work, she doesn't ride a bike so is unlikely to ever go in one or order something from by mail order from one, and, as I have already pointed out, the roller derby shop she gets her gear from doesn't sell water bottles. I didn't say she can't buy a water bottle from a bike shop. I just wondered where else to get one from.

Now, I know water bottles are sold in bike shops, obviously. And so does she. Either of us could easily go out of our way to visit a bike shop, or just order one from Wiggle in five minutes. But that's besides the point. I was simply curious as to whether other types of outlet, that a non-cyclist who needs a water bottle, might be likely to pass by on their everyday journeys, sell water bottles. Is being curious and asking questions not allowed? :lol:

Now do you have anything useful or helpful to add to answer the question or are you just here to argue?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Runners Need or Sweat Shop will have something.

And don't be so touchy; I was merely pointing out how your question could be misconstrued.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Herbsman wrote:
    I was simply curious as to whether other types of outlet, that a non-cyclist who needs a water bottle, might be likely to pass by on their everyday journeys, sell water bottles.

In that case, even H&M does. http://www.hm.com/gb/subdepartment/MEN? ... 4294894228