MTB 26 - Replace Suntour XCM with rigid fork

flight996
flight996 Posts: 15
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Dear forum

I am considering replacing my Suntour XCM forks with a rigid fork (Cro-steel), and wish to maintain the same steering geometry. The XCMs are in OK nick, but not much fun over a long day on the road with a load.

My bike is a 26" TREK 3900 disc MTB. I understand the steerer tube is threadless, 205mm long and 1 1/8" diameter.

The bike has cable operated discs and Serfas Drifters. It has a rear rack and panniers, but not front panners, so carriers a bit of weight towards the rear when loaded.

The bike is used primarily as a commuter-come-tourer. It does a few mild trails and carries a bit of weight when used as a tourer. I weigh 78kg.

Any suggestions on inexpensive replacement rigid forks would be appreciated.

Cheers
Flight

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    On-One do a rigid Cro-Mo fork in both 26" and 29" sizes. Try searching On-One, CRC and Wiggle for rigid forks. If your budget stretches to it, consider carbon rigids from On-One or Exotic Carbon. I have the On-One monococque carbon fork - very strong and very light!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Plenty of cheap ones on ebay too. I've had a Mosso on my commuter for years now.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have a Mosso on my commuter, cheap and light, does the job fine.
  • Thank you very much for the very prompt replies replies.

Giraffoto, yes I would love carbon forks, but they are a bit expensive for my budget and they are so easily damaged when transported on buses in Asia. Particularlyly when a 50kg bag of rice, a wheelbarrow and various building materials are dumped on top, and the bus lurches for the next 200ks along a road with pot-holes that could swallow a small country.

I agree there are some available on Ebay that appear to suit, but the technical aspects wory me...particularly maintaining original geometry as much as possible.

Am I correct in assuming that straight (non-curved) forks should be selected?

I'll check out some Mussos first, and some Surly Instigators (if they're within budget).

Thanks again
    Flight
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Curved can be a bit more compliant.

Have a look for Kona Project Two. Tough, light, great fork, a classic.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    As far as maintaining geometry is concerned check your current axle to crown height and get a rigid fork that matches.

* edit forgot to mention to take account of sag. Eg if you normally run 20% sag then take this value off the measured axle to crown height.
  • Thank you again.
    Plenty of good information for me to work with, and I now understand how/why to reduce the axle-to-crowm measurement on a new solid fork. I run the current shocks as hard as possible, so maybe a bit less than 20% sag.

Cheers
    F