Light failed, front mech snapped and not a blizzard...

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Interesting morning so far. i get to the pitch black part of my commute and realise my blazing bright lights are off (normally relaible rechargeable battery that gives me 5 days is off after 3). thankfully the long line of cars behind me light up the road just enough to keep me alive until i get to the lit bit again and can get my back up light on.

2 miles later i cant shift into the big ring. on taking a look at the next set of lights i see the mech has snapped, thankfully not stopping me cycling. i though i'd be ok to get home spinning like a loon with my back up light on but no,
the met office app didnt tell me there may be snow also. fingers crossed it wont stick but i now cant see the small hill 300 yards from the office window. will be fun on a road bike today.

rant over. i hope everyone stays safe today
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• but apart from that how has it gone?
  • Magic thanks :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    For dark commutes I have 2 lights on the front - ones my more expensive Cateye Nanoshot+ and the other is a cheap Cree one - together they light up the road in front, individually I can still ride safely at speed.
    I also have a head torch mounted on the helmet - but that's more for mechanicals ...

But I don't carry a spare mech or snow shovel .... ;)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm kinda hoping for snow - although it won't happen down here for a while yet - I've got the studded tyres that need a good test! ;)
  • the office was quickly abandoned at lunch time as at 4pm ish its a nightmare of traffic and snow just makes it worse. took the bus and am glad as its just sleet now. i'll rescue my bike tonight and expect to take the MTB tomorrow and try and fettle a repair on the road bike.
    as for the lights. they are happily charging away :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014