Garmin 500 'Out Front' Mounts

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Loads of these on the market now, any able to advise on which is best value, or which is just plain best?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I got a barfly one from Ebay. Came from the states at the time and cost about £16. It does the job.
  • I would definitely recommend the Tate Labs Bar Fly 2.0 mount http://www.barflybike.com/bar-fly-20/. It can take a Garmin 500 or 800 and puts it in a great position ahead of the stem, making it easily readable when riding in any position. I've been over some pretty rough stuff with it and not been in the slightest worried that it would detach. You can pick them up on eBay for £18-19 new and less used (occasionally).
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I've got the Garmin one.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Garmin one is very good if a little expensive. I've heard of problems with the mounting tabs getting worn with some of the 3rd party ones.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    The Garmin one is good but over engineered and a little heavy. Very good quality though.

I use the Raceware ones that come out of a 3d printer..
    http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/#/garmi ... 4572268838

Happy with them, they are light and do the job. Only problem is that if you are constantly attaching and removing the Garmin the socket gets a bit loose eventually (I guess the type of plastic they use is more prone to wear), although it's never become so bad as to be a problem (so far).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I picked up a Sram Quickview from Singapore for £16 off Ebay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    +1 for the Sram mount
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    K-Edge, if you've got a 500 just make sure you get the newer style one so you can adjust the reach.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have a SRAM one. I've not used it anger, but seems very good, and much more reasonably priced than the competition.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I've got the superstar one fitted to my bikes.......

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=815

Out of stock right now, but £10.00 when they're in. Does the job nicely. Nice secure fit with a good amount of adjustment.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    SRAM I reckon is the best value, but the Garmin one looks better (shape + quality).
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I've got 2 of the SRAM ones. Good value and look fine.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • trek_dan wrote:
    K-Edge, if you've got a 500 just make sure you get the newer style one so you can adjust the reach.

The original K-Edge is adjustable too.

I've got:

K-Edge - IMO the best of the three I use - a lovely bit of CNC engineering and it's solid with zero shake - comes with a lifetime guarantee too. It breaks, they replace it.
    Garmin - Plastic and it makes the Edge sit squint. Came free with computer.
    Superstar Components - a low-end K-Edge but still very useable – it’s adjustable, no shake, but heavier.

The SRAM mount and BarFly hold the computer above the stem, not inline like these three. Horses for courses, but IMO flush is best.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I use Racewaredirect. Light and they have specific designs for different bar shapes (especially useful on my Pro Evo Missile bars). Had 3 of them already and can't fault them.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Fancy one of these my self, just looked at the barfly and Sram ones.

I am right in thinking the barfly will keep the Garmin at the same level at the bars and stem? where as the Sram one will lift the Garmin up above?

Thanks
  • Very happy with my bar fly 2.0
    To answer the above, it holds the computer a in line with the stem and level with the bar top. Possibly a touch above centre but certainly not above the bars
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    +1 for the superstar ones.Have two black ones for my Garmin 200 and are very adjustable and secure,no wobble at all.They sell out very quickly due to price but they seem to restock quickly.
  • +1 for the Barfly. Paid £14 for mine a couple of weeks ago from PBK.
  • derosa wrote:

Me too for the SRAM one, love it!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • This is a thing of beauty and weighs nothing but I'm slightly concerned about the metal interface wearing the back of the Garmin:

http://tillquist.dk/custom-made/garmin-mount-road/
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,414
    I had a SRAM one but the fixing bolt pulled through, and now have a Garmin one which has been great.
  • Another user of the original Garmin one here. Yes its expensive but it holds your device so securely with no issues.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I've got the superstar one fitted to my bikes.......

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=815

Out of stock right now, but £10.00 when they're in. Does the job nicely. Nice secure fit with a good amount of adjustment.

I have 2 of these, superb bargain, rock solid, no slip.

Need to buy another, mailed them and they reckon they will have stock in February.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18