Brake pad wear

mahesket
mahesket Posts: 85
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys and gals, I'm just after a bit of advice

I have recently bought a new bike calibre two.two and have been checking things over this evening.

Last weekend I did my first proper stint on it at sherwood pines which was great fun. But the weather was miserable and it is very very sandy there so I thought I would take a look at a few things, basically have a little play.

I have never owned a bike with QR wheels and disk brakes so I set about removing the front wheel to inspect the wear on the pads. After removing the wheel it became obvious one of the pads looked more worn than the other, so I removed them and this is what I found.

20140129_224104_zps3eiiilsz.jpg

20140129_224118_zps0fyfak8i.jpg

The pad on the right is heavily worn and unevenly worn, pretty much down to the backing plate at the bottom.

My questions are what would be the cause of uneven wear? Disk misalignment maybe?

And would that be expected as a normal wear for relatively short amount of use? I would say I have only done 40 miles on the bike with just under half off road and about 7 of those at sherwood pines.

I have only had the bike 6-7 weeks so not used much at all, I would have expected pads to last at least 6 months but it looks like I will have to order some new ones already.

What would be the best pads to get for B01s pads to get?

And finally when refitting the front wheel, what is the correct method to make sure it is aligned and tightened correctly?

I am plenty used to repairing cars and did build up a bmx many years ago but bike are new to me so any pointers would be great.

Cheers
Matt

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've killed pads in half a day in soggy Wales. Pads do tend to wear unevenly - centring the calliper is all you can do.

No idea what B01 is, but try Superstar sintered if they have pads to fit. Cheap and last well.

You might also be braking a lot if you're not used to it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The leading edge will wear faster in sandy conditions, but it's possible the calliper wasn't aligned right. Definitely use sintered pads for sandy/muddy conditions.

Fitting the front wheel, open QR, put in wheel making sure the disc goes between the pads properly, then tighten QR nut up then flip the lever while putting a small amount of weight on the wheel to make sure it's up into the dropouts fully on both sides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I've killed pads in half a day in soggy Wales. Pads do tend to wear unevenly - centring the calliper is all you can do.

No idea what B01 is, but try Superstar sintered if they have pads to fit. Cheap and last well.

You might also be braking a lot if you're not used to it.

Cheers I thought that was probably the case I will take a look at superstar sintered pads.

the weather was unreal! approx. 50% of the trail was under water and lots of it axle deep so no doubt the pads got a hammering!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The leading edge will wear faster in sandy conditions, but it's possible the calliper wasn't aligned right. Definitely use sintered pads for sandy/muddy conditions.

Fitting the front wheel, open QR, put in wheel making sure the disc goes between the pads properly, then tighten QR nut up then flip the lever while putting a small amount of weight on the wheel to make sure it's up into the dropouts fully on both sides.

Thanks for the tips, I know it might sound stupid but that's helped a lot! even if its just the confidence I was doing things correctly for reassembly!

Do people re-torque calliper bolts after re-aligning of torque by feel? just curious as I think my 1/2" torque wrench might be a bit over kill for this operation.
  • cooldad
    I don't own a torque wrench
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cheers, good to know!

I have order a 4 pack of superstar sintered pads hopefully arrive tomorrow ready for a ride on Saturday morning.
  • Received my new pads this lunch time, can't argue with that service, plus a bag of sweets and some stickers!!

I'll fit them in the morning before a run out and report back.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I just fitted some to my carrera vulcan and seem to be decent pads.
  • cooldad
    mahesket wrote:
    Received my new pads this lunch time, can't argue with that service, plus a bag of sweets and some stickers!!

I have lots of stickers, but the Haribo don't last long.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    mahesket wrote:
    Received my new pads this lunch time, can't argue with that service, plus a bag of sweets and some stickers!!

I have lots of stickers, but the Haribo don't last long.

Yeah the haribo went pretty sharpish!

Well I fitted the new pads this morning which was nice and easy after I had pushed the pistons back in, readjusted my brake lever position a little further inbound for one finger control, then took it out for a ride.

My fitness still isn't great and I only did about 8 miles, but the pads were head and shoulders above the standard resin ones that came with it. After they had bedded in after a few big stops the difference was night and day, so much more control with them and not much noise like has been reported by others.

Happy with them so far, hopefully they'll last a while longer than the originals.
  • Can someone give me a part number for these pads or a link of a place to buy them. Cheers :)
  • cooldad
    What brakes?
    Superstar if the ones he got work.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mahesket
    mahesket Posts: 85
    Yup that's what I got