Help me save my fork

gritty
gritty Posts: 15
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So I got myself a Scott Peak since I am new to mtb an all. The fork on it is terrible tho(Suntour XCM HLO), not seeing a lot of bounce on it, it's gonna be the first thing I replace. So can I put forward a couple of questions to you all.

Suggestion for fork upgrade, probably spend about £100?? Or should I spend more? What's a good value fork? I haven't looked into the market for this yet so any advice more than welcome.

Should I oil up my current fork set up so they deliver a bit more suspension as they are quite stiff just now and only travel 30-40mm...does this improve things?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They aren't the best forks. Look for a RockSHox XC30 or XC32.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably need to spend a bit more - £150-£200 will get a Suntour Epicon or Rockshox Recon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gritty
    Trust me Im learning my lessons now, 1st one is do your homework....

Hearing decent things about rock shox, cheers
  • gritty
    cooldad wrote:
    Probably need to spend a bit more - £150-£200 will get a Suntour Epicon or Rockshox Recon.

Yeah I guessed I'd have to double that...name o the game
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The forks I mentioned are good enough if you can't stretch. They use the same damper as RS forks far higher up the range.
  • gritty
    supersonic wrote:
    The forks I mentioned are good enough if you can't stretch. They use the same damper as RS forks far higher up the range.

Well I guess id rather wouldn't stretch, being new to it a cheaper upgrade will do me until Im really ready for a good bike
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • gritty
    cheers for the links guys, food for thought
  • mini_death
    mini_death Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    I assume CRC still have some manitou forks in their sale. Check those out too.

Edit:
    just make sure you get a fork that's compatible. (Straight 1 1/8th inch steer tube, QR drop outs I assume.)

You can get one with different brake mounts (ie IS or Post) and then get a different adaptor as/if necessary, just keep it in mind.

If you get through a shop they sometimes offer free fitting, this may be worth more to you than what you'll save buying online.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    You can get second hand air forks on ebay for about £100 even up to reba's for £150 although I have a set of recons as well and there very good. Put it this way my mate couldn't get a time around Dalby forest under 2:40 using a Carrera Vulcan (same forks as yours) he swapped to my reba's on his bike and got a 2:10 there that much better! so there worth the money as long as you don't get ones that aren't too worn out they last forever as they just require a simple service so chances are you will be able to sell them again at the end of it.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCM's with HLO aren't disastrously bad, a decent service (easy 15 minute job) will probably return them to no worse than new and give you some time.

All the forks in our family were bought used, all are working fine....not for everyone I know but the son has some £700 Maguras we got for £100 and the elder daughter has Revelations that cost £72, you just need to be patient.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gritty
    Cheers for all the advice guys I can't go wrong now!

The Rookie wrote:
    The XCM's with HLO aren't disastrously bad, a decent service (easy 15 minute job) will probably return them to no worse than new and give you some time.

Is this a LBS service or is it easy enough to do yourself?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got a slightly used Manitou marvel pro for sale in the classifieds if you need a 100mm 1/18 9mm fork.
  • gritty
    POAH wrote:
    I've got a slightly used Manitou marvel pro for sale in the classifieds if you need a 100mm 1/18 9mm fork.

not buying anything just now only had bike for a month prob wait until summer but cheers for the offer
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    gritty wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Is this a LBS service or is it easy enough to do yourself?
    Very easy DIY, just loosen the two Allen bolts on the bottom, tap up gently to free the interference fit, undo, pull off lowers, clean stanchions and inside the top of the lowers, regrease liberally with a decent grease and refit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.