New road bike advice

cotswoldscruiser
cotswoldscruiser Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Apologies in first; sorry for another 'what bike should i go for' thread.
I have promised myself a new road bike, with a budget of around 3k. I will use the bike for club runs, sportives and the occasional commute. I'm therefore more interested in comfort than a dedicated speed machine.
Initially i fancied titanium but am warming towards carbon. My short ish list so far contains;
Something from Planet X, Giant Defy advanced sl, Trek Domane, new Cannondale Hi-mod Synapse.
Any others I ought to be considering?
Any help/feedback greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Also look at Canyon and Rose. They are currently immense machines for the ££. Esp as the £ is strong against the Euro.

Out of all those however the Giant is supposed to be the most comfortable.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The Canyon SLX 7.0 looks like it matches your requirements very well. I was seriously considering one but then decided I could live with less and ordered it's cheaper brother the SL 9.0 instead. It's a very light and comfortable bike by all accounts.
  • I've just gone through your process and opted for a specialized SL4 Roubaix but my other final two were a trek domane and giant defy.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • I have a Specialized Roubaix SL2 with DA and can definitely vouch for the bike's comfort on longer rides. The longer headtube puts you in a very slightly more upright and less agressive position than the Tarmac (as an example).
  • Dawnie
    Dawnie Posts: 1
    Hi I too am deliberating between bikes, looking at the same class of bike,I'm a girly so looking at Specalized Amira expert & Pinerello Rokh..but I see that the Trek Domane is a contender in this catergry too,humm decisions,decisions. In need of opinions too
  • Thanks for replies.
    I've looked at Canyon and Rose in the past and agree they look like fantastic value when compared like for like. The off putting thing with direct sale for me is the lack of opportunity to drool/touch/test etc. However I've heard their customer service is pretty good so they join the list!
    As for Specialized, I think they fell off the list due to my perception of relative lack of value when compared with competition. Perhaps another contender though!