Knee pads

francis666
francis666 Posts: 99
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Doing a very rocky 40 mile Endurance race later in the year, so it's a first time purchase of knee pads.
Obviously they have to handle a fall ( but anything is better than bare skin ), but also have to handle large sweaty legs without falling down or rubbing the crisp out of me for up-to 5 hrs ( ok hope not to be that slow!)
Please don't bother with the " your not a man with pads etc" as 40 years of riding without answers that, but the loss of knee to a lump of Yorkshire granite or missing the rest of the years, events is worth the protection.
Seen the Troy Lees but I know nothing.
Thanks
Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there are a load of different ones - you might be best buying a few from CRC and sending back the ones that don't fit. IXS, fox, POC all make good ones but what fits me might not fit you.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    These...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661- ... prod113560

Very comfortable and not too sweaty on long rides – I completely forget I'm wearing them when I'm on the bike. I only realise I've got them on when I get back in the car! And they stay put, so no slipping down and hoiking up. And there's a very good sizing guide on 661's own site. I wouldn't have got a better fit even if I'd tried them on before ordering.

Like yourself I never wore pads. Then I had a nasty crash and mashed up a knee. I wised up after that.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197

lol

I bought some of those last week and they are one of the few things I've ever had to send back. I looked at the sizing chart and decided that L would be perfect but I think they are more suited to people with short legs (no offence). The calf measurement was correct and the thigh measurement was correct - but not at the same time. If I pulled them up at the top, the bottom was literally just below my knee cap. If I lowered them, the top was just above my knee cap. Compared to my Fox Launches they are really short. Just something to be aware of
  • I have bought a new pair of fox launch pro fit me really snug feel good quality and have good padding to the sides which some don't have, paid 45 for them good value I reckon, quite bulky to look at but knee fits well into the hard cup so the initial bulkyness disappears, I tried some 661(can't remember model) no side padding and race face with D30 (75£) good thing bout these is that you could fully open them to put round your knee rather than slipping foot through, my final choice was between nukeproof and the fox launch both seemed good.
    Previously owned some g form but didn't have much side padding.
    I upgraded to the fox launch pro whilst Currently off sick broken kneecap from not using them on a local track, so for me a painful lesson has been learnt , I'm hoping to fully regain strength and use of it and will always wear my knee and elbow pads etc.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
    Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Sounds like Endura MT500's will be ideal for what you're doing!! They're super light, very comfortable for long days in the saddle and offer good protection as well. I used mine on a 230 mile 6 day ride across Wales, often for 7-8 even 10 hours in the saddle and they were perfect. Mine have lasted really as well, thoroughly recommended!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    These...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661- ... prod113560

Very comfortable and not too sweaty on long rides – I completely forget I'm wearing them when I'm on the bike. I only realise I've got them on when I get back in the car! And they stay put, so no slipping down and hoiking up. And there's a very good sizing guide on 661's own site. I wouldn't have got a better fit even if I'd tried them on before ordering.

Like yourself I never wore pads. Then I had a nasty crash and mashed up a knee. I wised up after that.

I have them an wouldn't want to wear them on a 40 mile ride. Troy Lee or Poc knee pads are much lighter, better quality and more breathable.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    POAH wrote:
    there are a load of different ones - you might be best buying a few from CRC and sending back the ones that don't fit. IXS, fox, POC all make good ones but what fits me might not fit you.

This. I image knee pads and their fitting will be a very personal, and so subjective thing. Grabbing a few, trying and returning is probably going to be your best bet.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    .blitz wrote:

lol

I bought some of those last week and they are one of the few things I've ever had to send back. I looked at the sizing chart and decided that L would be perfect but I think they are more suited to people with short legs (no offence). The calf measurement was correct and the thigh measurement was correct - but not at the same time. If I pulled them up at the top, the bottom was literally just below my knee cap. If I lowered them, the top was just above my knee cap. Compared to my Fox Launches they are really short. Just something to be aware of

Couldn't have fit me any better, following their sizing guide. And I guess I'm average leg length.
    I have them an wouldn't want to wear them on a 40 mile ride.

I've worn them on a 30 mile ride and wasn't even aware of them on my legs.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    I have pocs and they are superb, really cumfy , no slip down, forget im wearing them sometimes
  • Having just worn out my Kyle Straight's, being over 40 and having a dicky knee, a pair of POC's are my next purchase.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    .blitz wrote:

lol

Couldn't have fit me any better, following their sizing guide. And I guess I'm average leg length.
    I have them an wouldn't want to wear them on a 40 mile ride.

I've worn them on a 30 mile ride and wasn't even aware of them on my legs.

I have a 34" inside leg and I've tried the Rage pads on at my LBS shop and they fit me too - certainly nothing odd about the shape of them. Thinking of buying a pair later this year (I currently have Nukeproof Criticals, which fit me spot on, are comfortable for the 3/4 hours I've worn them and have loads of protection, but I fancy trying the Rages, as they feel more unobtrusive, if less protective). Rockmonkey's comment's not valid as (unless he's bought the 2014 ones since this was debated on a previous thread) he doesn't have these - he has the older version, which aren't the same. If you do try the Rages, bear in mind that there's two (outwardly identical) versions - the Rage and the Rage Hard (hardshell version). For what you're decribing, you'd want the softshell Rage.