Lightweigh/Road worthy CX Tyres

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
I have a Tricross, currently with studded tyres for the winter, and also got a pair of Challgen Grifo Pro Tyres 700x32 for off road/possible races etc.

Looking for something that would be good main road (flat centre?), but will handle some dry dirt tracks/loose gravel (file tread/side knobbies), ideally on the lighter side rather than something stupidly bomb proof.

This would be used for On/Off Road commute come summer, and a few long (around 60miles) on Road/Off Road rides come the nicer weather.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Vittoria XN Pro?
  • Yeap, something like that! Any others?
  • I use what ever semi slick is on special, most of the roll well on the road and are so so off road in the dry.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,251
    I use these. Roll well enough on road and work reasonably well in the conditions you describe. No good in mud or on wet grass, but that's hardly surprising.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got a set of 32mm slicks for winter commuting - they're fine on the road and on tracks they perform adequately providing you're not trying to ride hard.

I've used the Grifo Pro tyres on the road and they're fine too.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Challenge Chicane XS open tubular have file tread in the middle and aggressive outer knobs. They'd roll well on the road as they are a very supple tyre especially if used with latex tubes.
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    Clement LAS or X’PLOR USH

Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe or Sammy Slick?
  • Slowbike wrote:

Should I just stick to using these then? They seem a bit noisy and squidgy, but the centre tread is better than none.

These seem a good price (as posted above)...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDCPR ... lding-tyre

The bike was bought used, and it came with some Marathons, but I quickly off loaded them, they seemed to be VERY puncture proof, but the weight of them, and the rigidity (broke 2 tyre levers!) put me off - certainly fit and forget, I sold them on.

Maybe overthinking it and should just stick with what I have, but I do plany to put some decent miles in exploring roads/bridleways and what ever else is in front of me.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Should have mentioned the 3 peaks favourite, Schwalbe Landcruisers. Fast rolling centre tread, good knobbles on the outside and bombproof. Heavy though at 615g

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod24624
  • Seen them whilst searching, I like the idea of the centre tread.

Challenge Chicane XS - the kind of thing I was thinking of, prices seem nuts?

Clement LAS - can't say I have ever heard of these, looks interesting, but its looks like the tread would wear away to nothing on the road in a short time? Same withthe Sammy Slicks.

Quite liking the PX offer.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    They're talking about the tub version, but the Chicane tread doesn't sound ideal to me:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... lar-47847/

It's expensive because you can only have it tubular or 'open tubular' (i.e. posh clincher). There's no cheaper version like there is with the Grifo.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Should I just stick to using these then? They seem a bit noisy and squidgy, but the centre tread is better than none.

These seem a good price (as posted above)...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDCPR ... lding-tyre

The bike was bought used, and it came with some Marathons, but I quickly off loaded them, they seemed to be VERY puncture proof, but the weight of them, and the rigidity (broke 2 tyre levers!) put me off - certainly fit and forget, I sold them on.

Maybe overthinking it and should just stick with what I have, but I do plany to put some decent miles in exploring roads/bridleways and what ever else is in front of me.

Depends what you're trying to achieve - the Grifo's won't be the fastest tyre on the road and probably not the fastest tyre off road - but if you're not racing and they're not "slow" then does it really matter?

FWIW I'm running a pair of 32mm flackjacket slick tyres on my CX atm - they're slow and hard work - but they're fine for the winter commute - If I replaced them with something else I'd just end up throwing them out - may as well (ab)use them first. I'll probably end up with a pair of Grifos for leisure riding and next winters commute ...
  • Its purely for weekend rides locally (say 50miles +) and a few mini tours of Anglesey (around the island - 60mules). I want something thats not too heavy duty for road, and not too light duty for off road, i.e. the best of both worlds! Thinking about it, I may just use the Grifos, they will do the job. I certainly felt them dragging on the road after a 70mile on/off road ride during September last year.

Where I live you need to ride a bit to get "out there" in the country side.

I do have a road bike and MTB too.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    a few mini tours of Anglesey (around the island - 60mules).
    I find that mules corner better on iron shoes. Might need to take it a bit easy on tarmac, but better than any tub in muddy conditions...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    a few mini tours of Anglesey (around the island - 60mules).
    I find that mules corner better on iron shoes. Might need to take it a bit easy on tarmac, but better than any tub in muddy conditions...

You'd think that wouldn't you. But... my wife events, and her horse is barefoot (a bit of rarity) and he has better grip barefoot, than he did when he was shod. For really muddy conditions traditional eventers use studs, and these give more grip, and can only be used with shoes, but when they let go, they really let go. The barefoot horse has a better feel for when his grip is running out, and so is ultimately a faster horse, even in very muddy conditions.

There you go, bet you wanted to know that. :D
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Blimey, sounds even worse than cotton cross tubs!

I bet the two of you end up having some really geeky conversations about different sorts of mud :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Oh yeah, the geek potential in our household is astronomical :D

We go out on training rides together as well, so there's direct comparison in different types of terrain too.
  • mules/miles :oops:
  • Here's what I run- Shwalbe Marathon racers 35cc. Fast, light and you can hoon about off-road (hardpack not mudbaths) if you let them down a bit. I love them.
    They'e on my spare CX bike which I'm using for commuting and i love them - they roll really well.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I use these. Roll well enough on road and work reasonably well in the conditions you describe. No good in mud or on wet grass, but that's hardly surprising.

I was on this terrain yesterday if this helps using Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro Folding Tyre and a bit of road use on the same ride out.
    u1id.jpg
  • I've had good service out of the 35mm Sammy Slicks on my Tourer.
    When I take it off-road, they're great on gravel and they do OK on mud because of the tread on the outside of the tyre.
    They seem to roll well on hard surfaces and they're not too heavy.
    I've had one puncture in ~1600 miles and that was caused when I rode into a load of glass.
    They are also easy to fit and remove.

• I ended up not bothering with new tyres, decided just to stick to my Griffo Pro's until they are worn out.

Pumped them up to 70psi, and hit the road with my local club on Saturday, they were all on road bikes/slicks, 50miles, 2000ft, stong winds, and finished 15.7mph avg - I thought I would struggle to keep up with the bigger chunkier tyres, but it was not an issue. I will continue to use the TriCross for winter/wet club runs. It means I can strip the guards off my Allez.

I dont know what it ism but there is something strangely satisfying riding my 2nd hand TriCross with chunky tyres, it just feels planted and stable, where as my road bike feels twitchy and at times unstable.