Wheelset

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello, I've just discovered a crack in my rear wheel rim. My current wheels came stock on a 2010 Boardman Road Comp. They're Ritchey something and they appear to roll faster than anyone else's wheels I've ridden with. The hubs are probably Ritchey somethings too, so very cheap but I have done 4000 miles on them, given them a beating and never serviced them and they still feel perfect.

I'm after a new pair of wheels since having wheels that don't match will annoy me.

I've found these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheelset-2013/

Anyone know of anything that's better value or a better product for a similar price? Any reasons to buy or not to buy these?

Cheers
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    How much do you weigh? If you are on the larger side its more than likely the fulcrums will suffer a similar fate. Look for something with a higher spoke count, your wheels should last longer than a set of tyres..
  • I weigh 73kg. Saying that, yeah it's still the original tyre on the rear. It shouldn't have broken at all really but not this soon at least. They'll be out of warranty by now and the bike was second hand when I bought it - the original owner apparently did 70 miles on it.

I probably buggered it by truing it incorrectly. I imagine i tensioned spokes on one side more than I de-tensioned the spokes on the other side. The crack in the rim is as if a spoke is trying to pull a chunk off the rim.

If so, and I true them properly, do you think the Fulcrums would be decent? I know they're nothing special for most people but I imagine they're a bit better than the Stock ones from my £900 bike.
  • pitchshifter
    They get good reviews as a solid training wheel. For your weight I am sure they would be fine providing you look after them better than the Ritchey's :D.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I use the Fulcrum 7's as my winter wheel set, purchased them from Merlin Cycles for £107. Not had any problems since purchasing them back in October. I'm 76KG.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I found them on Merlin for £107 but they're out of stock.

What thickness spacer will I need to use them with a 9-speed cassette? And to those who have these, do they come with said spacer?
  • pitchshifter
    Thanks for all the replies. I found them on Merlin for £107 but they're out of stock.

What thickness spacer will I need to use them with a 9-speed cassette? And to those who have these, do they come with said spacer?

They should come with the spacer (shimano?) to run 9/10speed cassette on the new 11speed hub. I believe you just use the spacer provided with the wheel set with a 9 speed cassette.
  • pitchshifter
    Don't forget the £15 off voucher at wiggle.
  • Ok, cheers for that. I've just been told that Aksiums are better than the Fulcrum 7s. Would anyone like to weigh in?

And how does one use this voucher?
  • pitchshifter
    MONEY-OFF-1 at checkout.

They are similar weight but come with tyres which are useless evidently... You'd probably find it hard to tell the difference between the two other than on your wallet.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Ok, cheers for that. I've just been told that Aksiums are better than the Fulcrum 7s. Would anyone like to weigh in?

Have you shopped there before? If so then you will have received an email with the code: money-off-1 to save £15 when you spend over £100.

If you haven't shopped there before, you can still use the code, but you could also drop me a pm and I'll refer you as a friend. You'll get some free glasses and I'll get 10% of your order in vouchers :)

Also, the 7s are a great buy, they have a reputation for being reliable and strong.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Do the 7's use standard length spokes that a decent LBS would have in stock?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    trek_dan wrote:
    Do the 7's use standard length spokes that a decent LBS would have in stock?

Even if the length is readily available they are straight pull so unlikely the LBS will have them kicking about.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Suggest if you can spending a little more then get the Fulcrum 5's. Lighter and roll well. I'm 90kgs and no problems after 12 months of regular riding.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Ok, cheers for that. I've just been told that Aksiums are better than the Fulcrum 7s. Would anyone like to weigh in?

€140 for Aksiums at the moment here - current exchange rate equates to £120-24 delivered

http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennr ... vge87cnhk4
  • I've decided to go with the Fulcrums but the Wiggle voucher code isn't working. In some places it says it's for clothing and shoes, other places it says it's for anything over £100.
  • Just done 6,000 miles on the 7's I have, can't see any problem with them.