Powertap bearing replacement

pilch
pilch Posts: 1,136
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Got a bit of play in my rear wheel, hub is a powertap pro, so I guess its new bearings time, had a look at some info on line & replacement looks pretty straightforward (I service all my own mtb hubs as and when). Other than the obvious of not 'twatting it' with a hammer is there anything to be aware of/watch out for before I set to it?
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you service yourself you affect the calibration of the torque tube or worse damage it. You have to send of to Paligap and part with £100 I'm afraid. Personally given the cost of parts for a Powertap I would not touch them I send them to Paligap. However they will take there time. 2-3 weeks!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    I replaced my bearings about 18 months ago - no problems. I recommend that you spend an extra few pounds on decent branded bearings - i.e. SKF or Ina. As you say, don't tw*t it with a hammer, use a long bolt and various sockets to pull the axle out.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    If you service yourself you affect the calibration of the torque tube or worse damage it. You have to send of to Paligap and part with £100 I'm afraid. Personally given the cost of parts for a Powertap I would not touch them I send them to Paligap. However they will take there time. 2-3 weeks!

!

Replaced the bearing in my PowerTap plenty of times. The wheel is able to withstand the pounding from Surrey's "finest" highways, so appears unconcerned at me nudging out the bearings with a hammer and an aluminium drift. Notably the calibration appears unaffected between bearing changes. It's basically a function of temperature; around 505 when cold, 512 when hot.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Cheers for the info, it's pretty much what I thought, as discussed I don't think a bearing change, if done with care will result in the death of the hub.... considering the pot hole infested roads it is ridden on regularly and I cant be without for 3 weeks :shock:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For a shop though remember if the customer find a problem after a bearing change I have done I am liable hense my advise. I do not fancy having to shell out for a pailgap repair if the customer thinks there is an issue as they will charge even there isn't. If you are doing it your self you take the risk even if it small.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.