Advert banned due to cyclist not doing anything wrong

2»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So in summary:

There are three points being made by the ASA: no helmet being worn despite it not being required (or necessary); the cyclists position in the road despite it being taught by Bikeability (the replacement for the Cycling proficiency test) and the position of the car over-taking the cyclist, despite it being EXACTLY the same position shown in the Highway Code under rule 163.

So, they banned the advert over something not required, something recommended and taught by the Govt and something clearly depicted in the Highway Code.

I have to admit to being confused about this...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    So in summary:

There are three points being made by the ASA: no helmet being worn despite it not being required (or necessary); the cyclists position in the road despite it being taught by Bikeability (the replacement for the Cycling proficiency test) and the position of the car over-taking the cyclist, despite it being EXACTLY the same position shown in the Highway Code under rule 163.

So, they banned the advert over something not required, something recommended and taught by the Govt and something clearly depicted in the Highway Code.

I have to admit to being confused about this...
    No, the car in the ad has not covered the white line. The car in the picture from the Highway Code you posted is well across the white line. Presumably if the car in the ad had crossed the white line the ASA would have exploded in some kind of apoplectic fit.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    guyp@asa.org.uk

Head of ASA.

Go on, fill your boots, I already have!
  • Have to be said they (the ASA) are being supported by various charities Such as Headway.

Equally I'm rather doughtfull that they are looking at this logically, more in a something must be done, what ever that happens to be.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Clearly the ASA think it is OK to ban an advert if only 5 people complain about something they can agree is doubtful. Therefore, all we need is for folk on here to watch the adverts and post up which ones they think are dodgy and why (me - I'm genuinely scared to go into pubs these days incase someone near me orders a Strongbow and I get killed by a load of crossbow bolts). Then we just need 5 or more people to make complaints about the advert on that basis. With a bit of luck we can get at least 25% of adverts banned!
    Equally I'm rather doughtfull that they are looking at this logically, more in a something must be done, what ever that happens to be.

You shouldn't eat so many sandwiches then. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what's happening, the link on the first page to the adjudication comes up dead and no end of searching of the asa webby and I can't find it, does that mean they have pulled it for 'review' already?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    So what's happening, the link on the first page to the adjudication comes up dead and no end of searching of the asa webby and I can't find it, does that mean they have pulled it for 'review' already?
    Yup lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25960322
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Blimey, they must have been inundated with complaints to 'arrange the review' that fast (and try and stem the tide)!

Anyone got the original ruling cached/saved that they can post?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • AlSee
    AlSee Posts: 10
    If a car in London passed you giving you that much space someone else would overtake through the middle.
  • oneiroi
    oneiroi Posts: 32
    AlSee wrote:
    If a car in London passed you giving you that much space someone else would overtake through the middle.

:lol:
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of middletaking is there?