Madone 4.9, Good bit of kit?

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Noseying around a shop where they have the bike I fancy (Domane 4.5/4.7 undecided :? ) I saw lurking in the corner giving me the eye a 2013 Madone 4.9,
It is coming in substantially cheaper than list and cheaper than my preferred,

Is it a decent bike out of the box?
With what I am saving there is the option of upgrading the wheels, and dependant on what wheels the brakes will see an upgrade to Ultegra at least.

Comments

• Does the frame suit you better than the Domane though,, they are very different bikes
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Irohug5
    Irohug5 Posts: 74
    I have a 4.9 And it is a great bike. Stock wheels are ok but I upgraded them fairly quickly.

As above though, depends what you want out of the bike. Both very different geometries so of maybe test ride both and see what suits you best
  • Sorry to hijack but can I ask Irohug5 what wheels you upgraded to? I have a Madone 4.5 which is a great bike so unless the the OP is specifically looking for the comfier ride of the Domane would suggest having a serious look at and a test run on the Madone if possible. I have been considering a wheel upgrade myself from the stock wheels that came with the bike, however am unsure as to what would be considered an upgrade
  • Domane is a long distance / sportive style bike whereas the Madone is a racing bike, so it depends what you want to do with it.
  • Sorry, another post-hijack here!
    I have the 2013 Madone 4.9 with Di2 - my first road-bike in 32 years and love it. Bought it specifically to train and prepare for London to Paris event in 2013, and completed my first Sportive's in the final part of my training. I considered a Trek Domane - as MarkHewitt1978 says, Domane more intended for longer rides/sportives, or Specialized Roubaix, but the bike shop offered if my last point-of-reference was a steel-framed Raleigh Record from 1982, even the "racier" geometry of the Madone (over the Domane) would feel very comfortable. No complaints/regrets, although I did experiment with several saddles over the summer, finally settling on a Selle Italia C2 - tried loads of specialized BG saddles. Managed to locate a Specialized Cobl-Goblr seatpost a few weeks before my L2P ride, which takes the "edge" off the roughness of the roads.

Having completed almost 2,000 miles on the bike since purchasing it in April 2013, I'm interested in upgrading the wheels - I'll be going the London to Paris again in 2014 - this time with my son, so plenty of training and more sportives this year since I enjoyed them so much.
    I'm 5'10" and 77kgs, mainly out riding in Northumberland and as I said, looking to do more Sportives this year (as well as L2P 2014!).

My LBS suggested a potential next-step up from my stock wheels might be Mavic Ksyriums, but having searched these forums a bit, I'm not so sure.
    Any recommendations would be welcomed. Otherwise happy with the bike, it performed faultlessly over 1,600 miles of training and the 4-day event itself, really pleased with the choice.
  • Assuming you have about £500 to spend then? The Mavic would be a good choice. But also consider Shimano RS81 (about £400) or the Dura Ace C24 (about £630)
  • I have a Madone 5.2 2012 model and probably ride the same roads in Northumberland as you.

I upgraded to C24 which admittedly are smooth and do help on the climbs but to be honest don't find the Stock Race wheels that bad, thinking of upgrading to the TLR bontrager kit as a spare set
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Can't go wrong with a Trek boy ;)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited February 2014
    I really doubt the Madone is THAT much quicker than the Domane, unless you want a full on race machine I would go for the Domane, it isn't very much heavier and the extra compliance it gives it an advantage over the dodgy roads we are suffering with at the moment. Remember Cancellara rides the Domane all the time and seems to be bloom in quick on that (Albeit with slightly different geometry) The Domane will destroy the equivalent Roubaix, riding the two back to back it made the Roubaix look like the Hovis bike...

My Domane is in my sig link, I think it's a great bike for the price :mrgreen:
  • Paul 8v
    But yes the Madone is a good bit of kit still
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    edited February 2014
    Ordered the Domane 4.7,
    Domane was my preference, followed your thread Paul8v as you bought yours when i was initially on the look out, nothing but the spec has really swayed me from the Domane.
  • Paul 8v
    Nice, you won't regret it 8)
  • Nope, you won`t regret it at all. Cracking bikes. Wait till you feel how smooth the road becomes , quite impressive.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Good choice, the 4 Series in white tour colour looks great and the highest spec kamtail model you can buy without that daft rear bike. I expect it would ride a similar stiffness to my 5 series. The H2 fit is not an uncomfortable position and a comfortable ride but the Domane with built in flex should be even more comfortable.