Hello road, and hello roadies! Tyre advice

Sir.Swish
Sir.Swish Posts: 80
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Taking on a JOGLE in September on my cove handjob mountain bike so my 2.1 knobbly tyres will have to be removed in favour of something with less rolling resistance.

However, Aware that I will encounter some cold, wet and slippery surfaces I have found these in 26x2.0 flavour.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... city-tyre/

Am I barking up the wrong tree or do these look like a good buy?

Ta.
2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
1975 Vindec Vogue
1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx

Comments

• nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Can't comment on those, but I fitted some Schwalbe Marathon Racer (26 * 1.5) for my Blackpool to Paris ride. Really impressive tyres - light, fast, grippy in the wet and decent puncture resistance - only one puncture on the whole trip from a piece of flint. Our route was mainly roads but included sections of canal towpath and even some proper off-road bridleways.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had those on my mountain bike years ago and really liked them.
    I got the 2.0 but probably should have got the 1.6.

Hats off to you for doing it on a mountain bike. Is it an off road'ish route?
  • Your opinions are appreciated :D It will be a predominantly road route, No other reason other than I built the bike and it would be a bonus accomplishment to complete an end-to-end on it (touch wood haha)

I have wide rims but would you recommend I try the 1.6? I imagine they should fit with some coaxing...
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure about rim width compatibility sorry (how wide are your rims?) but I found the 2.0 quite big after getting used to not having knobblys on.
    I felt the 1.6 would have been noticeably faster/better riding.
    My MTB rims are not overly wide.
  • Mavic 719 front, 321 rear (50-559 & 54-559) Designed to have between 1.9 and 2.1 tyres according to Wiggle's size guide. Better go with 2.0 just to be safe!
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/_webedit/uplo ... 20Info.pdf

This will tell you all you need to know about which tyre sizes fit which rim sizes, also about Schwalbe tyres