0% Beer

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
It may have been done to death but if anyone needs a decent 0% beer I found one I actually like.

I tried Becks Blue which was just about drinkable with my curry.
I then tried Cobra 0% which was foul.

I then tried Bavaria 0.0% wheat beer (I think its called 0.0% because a lot of the other non alcoholic wheat beers are actually 0.5%, as are some root beers) and I genuinely like it.

It tastes like a Hoegaarden top, so if you do not like Hoegaarden then forget it.

The normal Bavaria 0.0% (i.e. not the wheat one) is pretty good too.
I have had their larger shandy (when I was drinking) and thats also nice.
Will be trying their proper premium larger when I am back on the sauce :D

IMO the Bavaria 0.0% wheat tastes so nice I would drink it even when I am drinking again!

Its £2 for 6x 330ml bottles or tins when on offer.
I went into Morrissons to get some more today but all the wheat ones had gone. The normal (non wheat) Bavaria 0.0% on the shelf next to it was full though and both are on offer.

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Mmm, might give that a try. I more or less gave up beer a few years ago (other than the odd half at The Bridge Inn at Topsham), and all the soft drinks are pretty horrible (apart from the odd good ginger beer - and even that is rather too sweet). Most low- or-non-alcooholic drinks are equally horrible, so if there is something out there that has that nice tang of a good continental beer, it's worth a try.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    any advice on where to get a spice free curry to go with it? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Bavaria and Becks blue are OK... try the alcohol free Maisel Weiss, it's very good
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Carbonator wrote:
    if anyone needs a decent 0% beer

Why would anyone want this?

If you want a beer have one, if that is not appropriate drink soft drinks.

If you can not do the above you need help :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Maybe because you want to have 2 or 3 at your favourite indian restaurant and then drive home, knowing that if a drunk student stomps under your car you will be in the right and won't go to jail?
    Just a thought...
    Of course you can get a taxi and add 40 pounds to your bill every time you go out for dinner. I see many good reasons to want a 0% beer... soft drinks simply don't go with food
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    . soft drinks simply don't go with food

+1 for this. I have been on nights out where I have had to drive for one reason or another and opted for the usual soft drinks - Coke, fresh orange and lemonade, soda and lime etc and felt more bagged up and slightly hungover than if I had been drinking. I have tried Becks Blue recently and thought it was very good - pleasant tasting and easy to drink. I remember the previous incarnations of alcohol-free beers, Barbican, Kaliber etc and it is a big improvement on them. I seem to remember Swan Light was OK but that was low alcohol as opposed to no alcohol.
    I'm not convinced Shloer is a suitable alternative to wine mind you, it's ok as a soft drink in it's own right but not as an accompaniment to a meal.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Anonymous
    smidsy wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I generally agree with you but if you are not drinking then the other options are pretty cr4p, especially when out for a meal.

A curry is my only real 'need a beer' thing and why I tried a Becks Blue and probably a curry out is the only situation I would suffer a 0% larger normally.

Now I have found one I actually like though I feel it is good for other reasons.

It stops people annoyingly asking you why you are not drinking.
    It makes people feel better about being with you while you are not drinking (i.e. if I went to someones house for a meal).
    It is nice to have that finished work Friday/weekend feeling.

None of which I would suffer drinking something I did not like for.
  • Check the labels carefully. As already mentioned, there is a difference between "0% alcohol" and "alcohol free". Most alcohol free beers are allowed to have some alcohol in them, up to a very low limit.

One of the best alcohol free IMO is Bitburger Drive.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Anonymous
    Read a review of alcohol free wheat beers and I think the Bavaria was the only actually alcohol free one.

I remember drinking a root beer whist not drinking alcohol last year, then looking at the label and seeing it was up to 0.5% alcohol.

The Bravia 0.0% almost makes me feel as though I have had a drink too.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    mango lassi anyone?
  • smidsy
    Utter tosh - on this we defintiely disagree.
    Crescent wrote:
    +1 for this. .
    -1. See above.

Alcies the lot of ya :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    smidsy wrote:

Alcies the lot of ya :mrgreen:

Surely an "alcie" would want an alcoholic beer and not an alcohol free one?? I don't know many alcoholics but I'm pretty sure they like their super lagers, I believe they find Special Brew quite moreish.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • smidsy
    Crescent wrote:
    Surely an "alcie" would want an alcoholic beer and not an alcohol free one??

Indeed, which only goes to further demonstrate my point - 0% or alcohol free beer is pointless.

The only reason to drink it is that mentally you need to have beer (so alcieesque), otherwise you would drink something else.

It is up there with caffeine free coffee and sugar free coke - WTF!

I mean there will be brussel free sprouts next :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • My good lady drank the odd bottle of Becks Blue when she was pregnant.

She craved spicy food at the time and enjoyed the odd one when eating a curry etc.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Smidseys argument winning IMO :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    smidsy wrote:
    Utter tosh - on this we defintiely disagree.

Most soft drinks are sweet (often very sweet) and I personally dont want to drink coke or fanta or fruit juice with a curry or a pizza or thai or chinese (maybe with a burger). I'm surprised there aren't more non-alcoholic drinks out there which cater to this market - whether branded as beer, wine or otherwise.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    When my wife was pregnant she sampled a few of the alcohol free beers - they all tasted a bit crap (like beer flavoured drinks rather than beer).

I've never bothered with alcohol free beer, sparkling water with a meal, maybe a lassi with a curry if I'm not drinking.

If it's 0% then it's not beer.
  • smidsy
    Paulie W wrote:
    I'm surprised there aren't more non-alcoholic drinks out there which cater to this market

What market? The 'I must have an alcohol substitute' market.

There are loads of non-alcoholic drinks if you can look past that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the bavaria is nicer than becks blue I have found, there's something about lager that has a metallic tang when you remove the alcohol...

instead of a 'soft drink' I have tonic water cos it's not sticky and you tend to drink it a little slower than water or pop
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited January 2014
    smidsy wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    I'm surprised there aren't more non-alcoholic drinks out there which cater to this market

What market? The 'I must have an alcohol substitute' market.

There are loads of non-alcoholic drinks if you can look past that.

Ok - some example of widely available non-sweet, non-fizzy, non-alcoholic soft drinks?
  • Anonymous
    Tonic water would be good actually. Bit of lemon and some ice clinking in the glass.........sorted :D
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Crescent wrote:

+1 for this. I have been on nights out where I have had to drive for one reason or another and opted for the usual soft drinks - Coke, fresh orange and lemonade, soda and lime etc and felt more bagged up and slightly hungover than if I had been drinking. I have tried Becks Blue recently and thought it was very good - pleasant tasting and easy to drink. I remember the previous incarnations of alcohol-free beers, Barbican, Kaliber etc and it is a big improvement on them. I seem to remember Swan Light was OK but that was low alcohol as opposed to no alcohol.
    I'm not convinced Shloer is a suitable alternative to wine mind you, it's ok as a soft drink in it's own right but not as an accompaniment to a meal.

Wow you feel worse the next day having drunk Carbonated WATER with a small touch of Lime Cordial than you do with beer. Alcho ;)

I do not really see the point either. They ALL taste pretty disgsuting. Lets face it as well. Indian is hardly going to be ruined with a soft drink. If anything the taste of Lager with food pretty much destroys the taste. It is down to association of beer with Curry.

Beer + Curry = MASSIVE Bloat.
  • smidsy
    Paulie W wrote:
    Ok - some example of widely available non-sweet, non-fizzy, non-alcoholic soft drinks?

I am not claiming there are loads meeting those specifics - I have no problem with coke etc.

Water is always good, but tea and coffee are too. In fact curry should be taken with tea not beer.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    :shock: Nothing is better than Larger + Curry :shock:

How do you belch after drinking tea? :lol:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    twist83 wrote:

Some years ago there was an Indian chap in the UK that started a brewery to make a beer that he (and others of course) could enjoy with his curry. He found British lager-beers to be too fizzy and as you say, bloating, and he wasn't able to eat as much food as he wanted to before feeling to full of gas.

I don't think I've tried many non-alcoholic beers, maybe one or two but not enough to remember. The main problem with most stuff like that is that it tastes like it's been drunk already.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    Capt Slog wrote:

The main problem with most stuff like that is that it tastes like it's been drunk already.

:lol::lol::lol:

Great way of putting it :wink:
  • smidsy
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Some years ago there was an Indian chap in the UK that started a brewery to make a beer that he (and others of course) could enjoy with his curry. He found British lager-beers to be too fizzy and as you say, bloating, and he wasn't able to eat as much food as he wanted to before feeling to full of gas.

Mr Cobra I presume.

Which raises another good point. Beer is full of sugar and is fizzy!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

I don't think I've tried many non-alcoholic beers, maybe one or two but not enough to remember. The main problem with most stuff like that is that it tastes like it's been drunk already.
    Cobra was the beer. Still a lager, just not as carbonated.

Anyway, the best drink with a curry is a good IPA.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Anonymous
    Cobra is the worse I have tried. I had to check I had not picked up a bottle of Mr Muscle by mistake.
    Not sure why I opened the second bottle, but the last two sat in the fridge a while then went down the sink....... bit like Mr Mucle :lol:
  • smidsy wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

I am not claiming there are loads meeting those specifics - I have no problem with coke etc.

Water is always good, but tea and coffee are too. In fact curry should be taken with tea not beer.

Smidsy, what's your issue with alcohol free beer? It somehow diminishes British masculinity or what? Beer is here to stay, but alcohol free beer is handy for those who don't want or can't drink alcohol but enjoy beer's taste... there might be many reasons for that, which is not up to you to question