Cheap 26" rigid fork

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Looking to buy a rigid 26" fork as cheap as possible.
It isn't going to be ridden, but instead used as a wheel truing stand (don't laugh), so I don't care if it weighs 20 kilos or is 2nd hand or whatever. I'd rather not bid, so just wondering what was the cheapest around, btw it muss have open slotted dropouts, and v-brake mounts would be nice but not compulsory. Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty of old cheapies on Ebay
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    All auctions though, which tend to end in like 7 days, then ship in another 7 days etc.
  • Cqc
    So not ebay
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Whereabouts are you?

Think I may have an old set down the side of the shed. If you want them you can have 'em, but you'll have to come and get them!
  • Cqc
    edited January 2014
    London mate :( , but thanks a lot anyway
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    bear in mind that a fork will only let you true front wheels, not rear. I reckon you're better off just turning the bike upside down and fixing a ruler or something across the frame/forks (as approriate) - works for me.
  • Cqc
    jimothy78 wrote:
    bear in mind that a fork will only let you true front wheels, not rear. I reckon you're better off just turning the bike upside down and fixing a ruler or something across the frame/forks (as approriate) - works for me.
    Shite, you're a genius, thanks, totally forgot about that, scrap everything then, no need for a fork after all, thanks for the help
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Another way is a use a knackered turbo as a stand.
  • Cqc
    WindyG wrote:
    Another way is a use a knackered turbo as a stand.
    Don't have a turbo, but nice idea
  • I'm rebuilding a 26er and found some very light and stupidly cheap Alu forks. Just search ebay for 'Mosso forks'.

http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.co ... a643_8.jpg
  • jimothy78
    What's the tyre clearance like on those forks, sweetwheels? I've seen them mentioned before, but never been sure what sort of size tyres you could get away with. I see you're using them with skinny slicks, but looks like there's a fair bit of room all round?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think e-bay but watch the postage costs. I got some excellent Roberts hand made forks (£250 new) for £50 a while back. If new then On One steel forks, Mosso or Exotic (alu).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    What's the tyre clearance like on those forks, sweetwheels? I've seen them mentioned before, but never been sure what sort of size tyres you could get away with. I see you're using them with skinny slicks, but looks like there's a fair bit of room all round?

Massive amounts of room...

zo5ugaq.jpg

I read somewhere someone managed to get a 29er in there.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 wrote:
    What's the tyre clearance like on those forks...looks like there's a fair bit of room all round?

Massive amounts of room...

zo5ugaq.jpg

I read somewhere someone managed to get a 29er in there.

thanks for the pic - there's cetainly plenty of room vertically, isn't there? And those are the 400mm axle-to-crown version, are they?
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    thanks for the pic - there's cetainly plenty of room vertically, isn't there? And those are the 400mm axle-to-crown version, are they?

That's the one.

You can also get them without v-brake bosses. I needed them for pannier rack mounts. Have to say I'm surprised by the quality considering how cheap they were.