Is X-fusion is a decent brand?

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've after a new bike and noticed a lot of bikes on offer especially from Cannondale seem to spec X-fusion on the lower spec full suss bikes... is the brand any good or is it like a Suntour type of deal?

Specifically, this bike:

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5257/CA ... NTY-2-2013

Has an X-fusion Velvet and E1RL shock...never seen them on any other bike...which brings me on to the jekyll 3 for another £300? Been shopping around for months now and Spring is round the corner so would like to buy soon!

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5186/CA ... YLL-4-2013

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    X fusion are good, but those 2 bikes ain't...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    X-Fusion make some quality stuff. So do Suntour, Rockshox & Fox etc.
    They all make cheap rubbish as well (or expensive rubbish from Fox).
  • Cqc
    Xfusion dont really make rubbish, as isn't velvet their cheapest and it's very good? Fox didn't used to make rubbish
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    X Fusion make some very basic OE rear shocks.
    Fox's bottom end stuff has never been much good, especially for the price.
    I bought a Giant Trance (new) with a 2009 Float R fork which was light but rubbish.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All XFusion forks are very good (for the money - its relative of course). Well damped and very competitive weight/stiffness. Some of the basic shocks are just that, but they all work ok in principle, but can be tempermental.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Cqc wrote:
    X fusion are good, but those 2 bikes ain't...

seem pretty good value to me!
  • Cqc
    That Jekyll got bad reviews , and I can personally vouch for the shittiness of the first one...
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I think the Jekyll is a steal for that price, 1 grand off the rrp price.. if the reviews were based on that price they would be alot different!
  • Running a set of X-Fusion Velvets on my Mount Vision for almost a year now and have been very impressed with them. No issues to report and they've been used in dry and wet/muddy conditions.

Corners
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Cqc wrote:
    ... and I can personally vouch for the shittiness of the first one...

Why was the RZ bad? It's one of the bikes I've been mulling over. Admittedly, mainly because of the discount.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Cqc
    The Jekyll review is on bikeradar, and I found the rz boring, not poppy, sluggish not confidence inspiring, hated it
  • AAddict
    AAddict Posts: 77
    The Jekyll 3 looks a better buy but a bit more money.

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5187/CA ... YLL-3-2013

Slight worry that 150mm Fox 32 maybe quite flexi though
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My cousin in the US was considering an X Fusion fork on his latest build but in the end got a killer deal on some Rockshox SIDS. Apparently they dont import the top of the range stuff into the UK but in the US they have a good reputation for building smooth reliable forks. The top end Suntour forks are also worth a look.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They do import all the forks. Only the Revel isnt available right now, but thats a limited run 'factory' fork. I am sure they could get some though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    benpinnick wrote:
    They do import all the forks. Only the Revel isnt available right now, but thats a limited run 'factory' fork. I am sure they could get some though.

That I didnt know, the last time I looked all that was available was the sub £150 stuff but that was a couple or three years ago.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Read the Jekyll review....looks like the only decent thing about it is the frame and xfusion shock lol

Think I'll save up a bit more..