Are these wheels / rims worn out

2»

Comments

• ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    ascurrell wrote:
    Certainly is odd [the front], between those two raised 'tram lines' there is a groove. The other side is badly worn but not with that ridge, that side looks more like its been metal to metal braking.

That is not unusual, have a look at this section, which shows the same type of wear and you will understand why it does wear that way

rim_zps702fb8d5.jpg

It would be nice to see a pic of that rim looking along the braking surface, mine is different from what I can see there.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    ascurrell wrote:

Apologies, but it wasn't a joke. I had forked out good money for them and was disappointed.

I just found it strange that you wrote something like that knowing how I felt at the time.

Maybe a joke sometimes but can also be kicking a guy when he was down. Happy cycling, well when I can get some bloody wheels lol
    I didn't know how you felt!

Anyway - glad you got your money back. The person selling them deserves a kicking
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • ascurrell
    What so he can be a customer in your sports injury ward, lol
    yeh I've got £140 is invested. Now they are saying I need to stump up the return postage, I've done nothing wrong why should I pay for being dupe'd into a purchase wrongly described, cheers
  • Someone hasn't been cleaning their brake rubbers. If you look at the rim where its fatter to sit the tyre bead, then think about how thin, otherwise, the rim sidewall actually is, there's next to nowt left on that rear rim!

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I have no great technical expertise here, but common sense surely would say these are "barge-pole" wheels.

Why did you buy them??

Is it really worth the saving???

What were you thinking?!
  • Secteur
    EDIT - sorry, I dont mean to sound so critical, but surely your life is worth more than a few pounds saved on dodgy looking old wheels.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    ascurrell wrote:
    What so he can be a customer in your sports injury ward, lol
    yeh I've got £140 is invested. Now they are saying I need to stump up the return postage, I've done nothing wrong why should I pay for being dupe'd into a purchase wrongly described, cheers
    Who's saying that? Ebay or the seller? If it's the seller tell them to f*** right off!

If it's Ebay tell them to f*** right off as well! But in more polite words. The seller has ripped you off - they have not only sold you wrongly described goods but they have sold you damaged, unsafe , completely worn out goods! You should not be paying anything whatsoever! :x
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • ascurrell
    Secteur wrote:
    I have no great technical expertise here, but common sense surely would say these are "barge-pole" wheels.

Why did you buy them??

Is it really worth the saving???

What were you thinking?!

If you read earlier in the listing I had no reason to doubt it was a decent buy for the following reasons,

I was buying from a seller with a 100% feedback 597 positive feedback

the wheels looked good from pics [ok no close ups] but with the following quote on the listing and the 100% feedback though would be ok

If I had realized the condition of course I wouldn't have bought them. But here was what I was going on

quote on listing

"CUBE WHEELSET - 700c

CUBE HP AERO -High Performance Aero.

Cube HP Aero Hubs - Rear with 10 Speed Cassette

All in good condition. Rear has a few marks on the decals."

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CUBE-HP-AERO-700 ... 7/$_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CUBE-HP-AERO-700 ... -/$_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CUBE-HP-AERO-700 ... B/$_35.JPG
  • Secteur
    Sorry, I didn't read all the posts and I thought you knew they were like that when you bought them.

Good luck with it all anyway,
  • ascurrell
    Secteur wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't read all the posts and I thought you knew they were like that when you bought them.

Good luck with it all anyway,

No of course I didn't know they were like that, I'm sorry but you came over very critical , go to ebay and look at the listing in the sold section, it looked a good deal, it wasn't a case of buying a worn out wheelset and saving a few pounds. And they didn't look dodgy wheels that' s the whole point of me claiming they were wrongly described !!
  • Secteur
    Yep, my apologies. I hope you get this resolved, and you are certainly within your rights to raise a legitimate claim here. Good luck with it.
  • ascurrell
    Secteur wrote:
    Yep, my apologies. I hope you get this resolved, and you are certainly within your rights to raise a legitimate claim here. Good luck with it.

Thanks no harm done, it's pretty well sorted now fingers crossed !!
  • As a general rule, wheels are consumables... don't buy them second hand in the same way you would not buy a second hand chain, unless they can prove they have done very little mileage and are in near new conditions and even there don't pay more than half the RRP as the warranty won't cover them once they have swapped ownership. Remember most wheels cannot be repaired on the cheap these days and you are looking at big bills for very simple repairs when they are at all possible
    left the forum March 2023
  • ascurrell
    As a general rule, wheels are consumables... don't buy them second hand in the same way you would not buy a second hand chain, unless they can prove they have done very little mileage and are in near new conditions and even there don't pay more than half the RRP as the warranty won't cover them once they have swapped ownership. Remember most wheels cannot be repaired on the cheap these days and you are looking at big bills for very simple repairs when they are at all possible

Sound advice, shame I've only just become wise to that, cheers
  • That's good advice. I admit I've been tempted by secondhand wheels, but the asking price is often ridiculous, and often actually more than you'd pay new at internet prices. Even when they look nice and the owner claims they've been barely used, you never know.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I had a rim that didn't look as worn as the rear in the images. Pumped the tyre up to 120psi on a very cold morning, cycled to work and left the bike in the sun. In the evening I thought I'd got a flat, but looking at the wheel a 3 -4 inch section of the rim had split along the wear tram lines and pushed outwards. Must have been the increased pressure as the tyre warmed up in the sun. Very glad I wasn't on the bike when it happened. Much more cautious about rim wear now.
  • ascurrell
    Term1te wrote:
    I had a rim that didn't look as worn as the rear in the images. Pumped the tyre up to 120psi on a very cold morning, cycled to work and left the bike in the sun. In the evening I thought I'd got a flat, but looking at the wheel a 3 -4 inch section of the rim had split along the wear tram lines and pushed outwards. Must have been the increased pressure as the tyre warmed up in the sun. Very glad I wasn't on the bike when it happened. Much more cautious about rim wear now.

That was a close one !!