Replacement for a Boardman Comp?

fat_homer
fat_homer Posts: 470
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Apologies first, I don’t usually venture out of the MTB forum, but I’m after some advice.

So time has come for a new roadie. It’s going to replace my trusty Boardman I bought second hand in 2010 and has served me well. I’ve got circa £1,500 to spend. It’ll generally be used for spring/summer/autumn evening rides and dry weekend rides of about 40-50 miles and maybe the odd longer jaunt. The Boardman will be kept for everything else, which it does now.

Reason for replacement is because........ well I want something new, lighter and shiny, I'm also doing far more mileage than I have in the past.

Top of the list at present are the Defy Composite 1 and the Planet X RT-58 (reviews on the RT-58 are non existant, but it looks nice and is good value). What else should I be looking at, aiming for carbon and Ultegra and I'd rather like to sit on one before spending my hard earned?

Thanks!

Comments

• FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    How about another Boardman :-)

My stable of bikes includes a Boardman Team Alloy road bike and a Boardman Pro MTB. This spring I will be adding a third Boardman a 2014 SLS 9.8. Not because I can't see beyond Boardman, as I also have high end road bikes from Cervelo, Klein as well as a Chinese import.

For the money Boardman's are great value but at the moment they are offering up to 40% off existing pre 2014 stock. Crazily I'm tempted myself :-O

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/2013_ ... _2013.html
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have you considered a 2nd hand option?

As a for instance, Smidsy is offering an Ultegra kitted Basso Astra on the classifieds here for £1050 to include Pete Matthews handbuilts.

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12954909

He is based in Derby so not too much of a schlep from Leicester if you were interested in viewing. Depends also if it is in your size of course.

No connection to Smidsy but thought it might be worth suggesting a trawl of the Classifieds before you lay out on a new bike.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Thanks for the responses.

The Boardman's don't really float my boat to be honest. As much as I like my current bike, I don't 'love' it, if that makes sense?

As for second hand, I'd quite happily go that way if the right bike comes up, the Basso is nice but the graphics aren't for me, I like things quite plain. And I don’t actually have the money at the minute, work have ‘delayed’ it!

Any more suggestions, comfy, nice looking road bike? :D