build or buy

keepluckin
keepluckin Posts: 12
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi new to site and after a very long time away from any sort of cycling ive decided to get back into it,now about a bike.. looking at a cannondale f700 great condition, also a cannondale f1 frame and build it my self.any suggestions?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The f700 is seriously outdated, and you'd end up replacing everything anyway if you got serious about it. If you know much about bikes I'd recommend you'd build your own from secondhand parts, as then you can spend a bit more on things you want, and save money in other areas by being less fussy.

However, if you're a bit out of touch with current standards etc, it might be sensible to buy a complete bike. Some very good deals around at the moment - what's your budget?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Build is generally the better idea value wise, but as said there are some deals about. Also, bear in mind that you can get 10% off any bike of any age if they do Cycle to work schemes at the shop - thats what people like Cyclescheme charge them, so just ask for that off.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I've never bought a bike "off the shelf", they are always a compromise in one way or another, so my vote goes for building.

There are a lot of How-to videos on the net plus a wealth of knowledge here so providing you have some mechanical acumen and a selection of tools it'd be relatively straight forward to do.

Building your own gets exactly what you want but it can be more expensive unless you are patient enough to wait and source parts at the best possible prices - if you want the bike tomorrow (building) it will cost you more.
  • Well bike bought. Cotic bfe,she is all there fox front end. Pickin up in a couple of weeks. There was a fella selling it cause he is going for full S, Wat do u think?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Cotic well respected, and quite a few fans of the Bfe on the forum.
    You'll probably find a few examples in the Aggressive Hardtail Thread
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    keepluckin wrote:
    Well bike bought. Cotic bfe,she is all there fox front end. Pickin up in a couple of weeks. There was a fella selling it cause he is going for full S, Wat do u think?
    Probably good that she is all there. My wife wasn't - a good few screws loose.

Otherwise who can say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yep! I have one of dem aswell!!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    keepluckin wrote:
    Yep! I have one of dem aswell!!

A Cotic, or a wife with screws loose?
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    keepluckin wrote:
    Yep! I have one of dem aswell!!

A Cotic, or a wife with screws loose?

On the basis keepluckin' is the one stating he just bought Cotic, take a guess ;)
    keepluckin wrote:
    Well bike bought. Cotic bfe,she is all there fox front end. Pickin up in a couple of weeks. There was a fella selling it cause he is going for full S, Wat do u think?

Cant really comment without knowing more of the spec, but the frame itself is an excellent hardtail.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    My wife wasn't - a good few screws loose.
    We already knew that - she married you.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.