£150kpa for French speaking Plumbers

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
From the telegraph today;

The exodus of wealthy French citizens fleeing President Francois Hollande’s punitive tax regime has had an unforeseen economic consequence.
Namely, a shortage of French-speaking plumbers in London’s most affluent neighbourhoods.
Charlie Mullins, the founder of Pimlico Plumbers, is today advertising for two French-speaking engineers who know their U-bend (siphon) from their pressure valve (soupape de pression), after his plumbers reported “communication problems” with Gallic clients in South Kensington, Chelsea and Mayfair.
Mr Mullins told The Telegraph that the number of call-outs from London’s French expats has more than doubled over the last year, after Mr Hollande announced his 75pc “supertax” on salaries of more than €1m (£825,000) in 2012.
Mr Mullins is considering hiring further French plumbers if demand continues to increase, after Mr Hollande’s 75pc levy for France’s highest earners was last month approved by France’s highest court.

“The worse the French economy gets, the better things become for our business,” said Mr Mullins.
He estimates that the new French-speaking recruits could earn between £120,000 and £150,000 a year, in line with his company's other top engineers.
Mr Mullins is among the group of UK businessmen who oppose the 50p tax rate that Labour has pledged to reintroduce if it wins next year’s election.
At the weekend, he called the 50p tax rate “suicidal” for British business.
“Investors would leave the country and go elsewhere, and companies would stop employing so many people, so there would be job losses," he said.
“Ed Balls has already been wrong on two major predictions – for economic growth and employment figures. So maybe now he’s going for a hat-trick.”

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Does this qualify me ?

Ça va vous coûter s'accoupler
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I had to use Google's translator but I reckon I'd get by :wink:

On dirait amour cher :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bonjour tout du apple le Mitterand. C'est votre eau qui est le problem matey.

Do I win?
  • e peux revenir jeudi
    (I can come back on Thursday)

Ooh ça va vous coûter cher
    (Ooh it's gonna cost ya)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    couple of years ago I went on a jaunt round calais to find plumbing kit - my mate had figured out that the french DIY is much cheaper so we went to source the kit from the local brico, he couldn't speak french so I went as his translator and had to figure it all out with the plumbers merchant catalogue in my hand !! surprising what you can do when you apply yourself

(don't try it though, all the plumbing fitting dimensions are different so none of it is compatible)

This guy doesn't need bilingual plumbers tho, he just needs one bilingual team leader/client manager
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hopefully this M Mullins chap is discretely flagging up what happens when blithering dimwit fu*kw!ts like Ed Balls announce plans to increase taxes on the rich - a direct consequence is that you drive some of them away to places where they can pay less tax, therefore the tax take isn't quite what was expected. Or maybe he just wants to make up for the lack of old Johny Onion who used to be a regular sight in the SE many moons ago.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    We want more of this ! Stupid French tax policies creating more wealth in the UK :)

Awaits the lefite bollox retort that it's all sooo unfair.....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Alain Quay wrote:
    e peux revenir jeudi

(Ooh it's gonna cost ya)

Nice!

Also;

Deux thés avec du lait et 4 sucres s'il te plait mon amour….je crache des plumes la!….

(Two teas with milk and 4 sugars please, love….I'm spitting feathers here!)
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Pfft. The article actually says somebody MAY employ some French speakers to work for him, and they MAY earn between £120-150,000 per year, if they reach the heights of a Top Engineer. So, he might not employ them, and if he does he might pay them £40,000 per year. Then there's a load of bollox Ed bashing. Lazy lazy journalism.

On another note, because my wife doesn't like cycling as much as I do, I MAY employ a prostitute to cycle round the new forest with me and I MAY pay her £1bn a day. Oh, and Labour is a political party that Telegraph readers may not like as much as the Tory inbreds. Simples.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Alain Quay wrote:
    e peux revenir jeudi

(Ooh it's gonna cost ya)

Nice!

Also;

Deux thés avec du lait et 4 sucres s'il te plait mon amour….je crache des plumes la!….

(Two teas with milk and 4 sugars please, love….I'm spitting feathers here!)

:lol:

Ed Balls. To me he's like Boris Johnson without the blond hair.

The older I get, the better I was.

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    All you need to be able to do is look at something and suck air through your teeth whilst shaking your head.......'looks expensive' in any language :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Gid Moaning and who is peeing for the ponsoir?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Looks like the Daily Telegraph is providing free advertising for one of their mates again.
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Pfft. The article actually says somebody MAY employ some French speakers to work for him, and they MAY earn between £120-150,000 per year, if they reach the heights of a Top Engineer. So, he might not employ them, and if he does he might pay them £40,000 per year. Then there's a load of bollox Ed bashing. Lazy lazy journalism.

On another note, because my wife doesn't like cycling as much as I do, I MAY employ a prostitute to cycle round the new forest with me and I MAY pay her £1bn a day. Oh, and Labour is a political party that Telegraph readers may not like as much as the Tory inbreds. Simples.

Er, it says he's advertising for them, so I guess that's fairly definite?

Agree, the salary is a bit unrealistic, I'd imagine they'd start on 40/50 ish, and then have some kind of performance related pay. Then move up the ranks. I can believe that some will be on 100k+.

In any case, despite record unemployment (Nice one Francois!*), plumbers are still desperately hard to find out here (guess all the youngsters prefer not to get their hands dirty), so the search may take some time.

* despite insisting repeatedly throughout 2013 that he would 'inverse' the unemployment curve (i.e. drop it) by end 2013, December's figures just in show an increase of 10 000+. That's 5.7% up in 2013. Now refusing to acknowledge his mistake, he's saying, 'give me another 6 months'. Jesus wept......