Cutting a carbon seatpost??

neil.s
neil.s Posts: 123
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Is it safe to cut a carbon seatpost?

I've got a 3T Doric Team in my winter bike but there's loads in the frame, so much that I think I should drop the post another few mm's into the frame but I can't get it to go any deeper :shock:

Having never cut a carbon post before I just wanted to check before doing so.

Can anyone put my mind at ease before attacking it with a saw??!! :wink: (I've cut a carbon fork steerer, just not a seatpost).

Cheers in advance.

Neil.

Comments

• sebo900
    sebo900 Posts: 14
    Hi, quick google reveals min insert as around 80mm so aslong as you have more then that should be fine :)
  • neil.s
    I have about 200mm's in the frame :shock: (it's a 350mm post).

I'll have bash this weekend.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Follow the same procedure as for a steerer - i.e. wrap in electrical tape and use a reasonably fine toothed saw blade.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    And don't breathe in the dust.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    why is it an issue for you (the post length I mean)?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    smidsy wrote:
    why is it an issue for you (the post length I mean)?

possibly "I think I should drop the post another few mm's into the frame but I can't get it to go any deeper" ?
  • neil.s
    Sorry chaps, had to go into work again last night :|

Thanks rayjay :D

Thanks also keef69, that's the exact reason for wanting to chop a bit off. I really think I need to put the post in a couple more millimetres, especially since trying Speedplay pedals (and their lower stack height). The post is in as far as I can get it, it's either up against internal butting or the top bottle cage boss on the seat tube.

I'll chop it this weekend, and let you know how I get on. What's the worst that can happen?.........! :shock:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Doh! - yeah I see that now.

Anyway cutting is no biggie - treat the same as cutting metal and wear a mask and gloves.

BTW - the only reason that Youtube guy needs scales like that is for dealing drugs (which he obviously uses if 20g savings float is boat) :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Most important rule is that you should measure from the end of the seat post to the minimum insertion mark and whatever you cut off make sure you've got at least that length inserted. From what you've said you don't need to go near that limit though so what the others have said is good advice.