Basic maintenance

Scrubnut
Scrubnut Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in The workshop
This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place?!

I've just had my lovely Kona Dew (2013 model total bargain) delivered, fitted my new fab pedals and I'm ready to go, but, I've been reading the manual (unusual). Can anyone put me right about basic maintenance? What should I lube the chain with and how often?
There's stuff in the Kona manual that I'm not sure I agree with...standover clearance etc so I'd rather find some practical solutions from people that know.

I've bought some copper anti seize which I used fitting the pedals. Should I be using it anywhere else?

Sorry to sound like a numpty but you've got to start somewhere!

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Google it, here is an example of what you might find.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/bikemaint ... uneups.htm
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the links in my sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Go out and ride it. Depending on the conditions, the drivetrain (chain and gears) is the first thing to deteriorate if you are a just-ignore-it-til-it-breaks kind of mechanic (plenty are).

How much maintenance you do depends on how much little mechanical niggles annoy you when riding, and how deep your pockets are when replacing components which could have lasted longer with a bit of tlc.

There's nothing on your bike which will fail through neglect (without giving you some warning first, he adds hastily) so just see how you get on, lube the chain as regularly as you can is the first place to start though.