Mudguards squeak when climbing

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,
Does anybody have a solution to stopping the squeak of my mudguards when climbing?
The bike is a Dolan Prefissio, wheels are Ambrosio rims, with 32 spokes front and back. SKS chromoplastics with 25mm gator skins.
The wheels are true and would not expect them to flex under load but it would seem that's what's happening.
They don't make a sound when on the flat or descending at over 30, I've tried adjusting them but think they are as they should be.
Can it be the wheel flexing? I weigh 78kgs so wouldn't have thought that heavy for them. Also doubtful of frame flexing
Any tricks I could have missed?

Matt

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I think it is the wheel flexing to one side when you put in hard effort. I've had the same issue on my touring bike - and that's got 36 spoke wheels. You can adjust the guards to sit a bit higher over the tyres. If you have already done that the only way round it is to fit narrower tyres or wider guards.
  • or it could be the mud guards bouncing up and down, mine do the same
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have 25mm Conti 4 Seasons and the same guards as you. I used to get some rubbing when climbing caused by wheel flex, and also when descending when I took one hand off the bars which I assumed allowed a bit more fork wobble.

I just adjusted the guards slightly further away from the tyre, and now all is silent.