New chain, how much tension?

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Learning to do all this via YouTube etc.

just got a new kmc quicklink chain and i know I can measure against my old chain to see how many links I need to remove, but I was wondering how to tell if the chain length is correct by tension.

Running a 53/39 front and a 12/28 rear
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Put the chain on the big ring at the front and the smallest sprocket at the back (53/12) the jockey wheels should be aligned vertically
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Flâneur
    Cheers, think I may have gone a link too short :( going to cause any problems?

image_zps68d23a4e.jpg
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • That should be fine.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    What's it like on big-big?
  • Flâneur
    bobones wrote:
    What's it like on big-big?

Thanks for the bad news, better in the house than on a hill. Now time to go find a way to re attach some links. Damn the learning curve.

image_zps58a13c16.jpg

image_zps58a13c16.jpg
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    That isn't a useable gear, if you are going to cross chain then you need a longer chain. If you can be disciplined, you might get away with it (although it does run the risk that you will shift down and get into a chainline that could lead to damage.) The derailleur has a capacity of 33 teeth, so you should be fine if you have the right number of chain links, but only just.
    You maybe could reattach 1-2 links from your removed chain (if you kept the end) using spare quicklinks from the chain brand. you end up with two quicklinks near to each other, but that won't be a serious problems. If you add more links I suspect you would have problems in little, little.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers. Will try and get another quicklink tomorrow and add 3 links I think. Though it would be good to train myself out of any cross chain habits, wouldn't fancy screwing up half way up a hill.

I shall also go look at small/small though I can't remember last time I did that cross chain. Guilty of big/big though.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You still have some flex in the chain as it goes through the mech, and the upper pulley isn't hitting the sprocket, so I'd say you could get away with it like that. One more link for peace of mind, two more to make it look nice.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing

Compare with the pics in the Park Tool article
  • Flâneur
    Cheers for the responses. LBS only has SRAM quick links in for 10 speed, will it fit a KMC chain?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've used KMC 10 speed links with Shimano chains for years. No experience with SRAM links and KMC chains. Try it and let us know if it works...
  • bobones
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Cheers for the responses. LBS only has SRAM quick links in for 10 speed, will it fit a KMC chain?
    No reason why it shouldn't work.
  • Flâneur
    Worked, though it required some pedal power through a static bike to secure the links.

Not a perfect fix but it is all a learning curve.

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    A bit hard to judge from the 3rd photo but how much slack is there running small/small. Is it usable if you went into it by mistake... it looks like it would be ok?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bobones
    That looks fine to me although I don't think you were too short in the first set of photos. Park tools says that as long as there is some kind of obvious "S" bend in the chain between the jockey wheels it's OK. Look at the photos here
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing

Some people say you should size a chain using small-small through RD with no slack as that will give you the longest chain possible for your setup. Others say that big-big not through RD with one full link extra is optimal. I don't particularly like the Shimano method myself.
  • Flâneur
    Dabber, it was running through fine so should be ok if I made an error.

Bob the first time around I was 2 from the top and the chain wouldn't move any more hence the need for extra links (3rd photo from the start of the thread)

Cheers for all the advice everyone
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Looks too long now.

The method I use is to wrap the chain round the big chainring and biggest sprocket without threading it through the rear derailleur - the two ends should overlap by two links (3 rivets).

I find this less subjective than the Shimano method with the vertical jockey wheels.