Boardman bottom bracket fault? Poor gear selection

emidas
emidas Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I am attempting to buy a 2012/13 Boardman Road Team bike but in spite of weeks of fetling (from Halford), including switching chainsets, it will not change up cleanly (34 tooth to 50) in gears 8,9,10. They have concluded that the bottom bracket is slightly distorted. Is this likely? Can anyone recommend a solution. Chain set is FSA Gossamer BB30 50/34 compact. Price and everything else is excellent... Many thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That isn't likely at all.

The 50 ring will have cut outs on the frame side face to lift the chain and help it across. If these are worn so the ledges are missing, it will struggle to pull the chain over, especially when there is little chain tension from being in 34 and gears 8-10.

I would look to replace the 50 ring if the bike has some miles on it. This shouldn't be too expensive.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • emidas
    Thanks for quick response. The bike is brand spanking new and still on the Halfords sales floor...! I also can't believe it is likely.
    The 50 ring has rivets near the circumference that seem to interfere with the chain when changing up.
    Have been told that they tried "my" chainset on another bike and it was fine...
    Main question - If the bike price is right, is it fixable by a proper LBS?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the problem is the frame then it is scrap.

tell then to get a new one the same in if you must have that version but check the frame numbers.

if it is a BB bearing fault then all they need to do is change the bearings/BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    emidas wrote:
    I am attempting to buy a 2012/13 Boardman Road Team bike but in spite of weeks of fetling (from Halford), including switching chainsets, it will not change up cleanly (34 tooth to 50) in gears 8,9,10. They have concluded that the bottom bracket is slightly distorted. Is this likely? Can anyone recommend a solution. Chain set is FSA Gossamer BB30 50/34 compact. Price and everything else is excellent... Many thanks for your advice.

From a practical point of view, you should be changing up into the 50 long before you reach the smallest three gears on the cassette.
  • sebo900
    sebo900 Posts: 14
    Has it been ridden and tested on the road? The chainset on one of my bikes has the same mystery problem when the cranks are hand turned but works perfectly out on the road
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I would either get them to supply a replacement bike or walk away.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like a numpty mechanic giving you a BS excuse for their incompetence - there are shift pins on the inside of the chainring to aid the upshift, not to hinder. I would look at the front mech set-up - it's the hardest gear mech to set-up correctly, particularly if it's set too high.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • emidas
    Ref being ridden, we only picked up the problem when trying it on a turbo-trainer in store. annoying if the problem is down to something that is correctable, which I suspect is the case. Says it all when they explained that the pins are so you could attach another chain ring!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    It's a risk buying it and hoping it's not an inherent fault with the frame. I had a bent frame due to poor quality control. The 2 more they sent, and another 2 at their warehouse, were also bent. They are cheap for a reason.
  • emidas
    Thanks. Interesting to know that really could be an inherent frame issue.