Dissertation Question

GregSharman
GregSharman Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the interruption however I would very much appreciate it if you could help me with some research I am doing for my final year dissertation!

I’m a third year student at Staffordshire University and my dissertation is based around the effects (or possibly lack of) that GPS applications, such as ‘Strava’, are having on the Mountain Biking community and the trails that they use. If you have a few minutes to spare (it doesn’t matter if you use these applications or not!) it would be a great help if you could fill out my simple online questionnaire, it only has 10 questions and they’re mostly multiple choice!

Thank-you for your responses,
Greg

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5JC5VDB

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Done.

Reasonably well structured questions, the last two questions could have done with a wider set of answers imo though.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The last 2 are rubbish questions.

Mountain biking is NOT based around trail centres.
  • Cheers,
    I've added additional comment sections to the questions you've mentioned to allow for any other thoughts you may have.
  • Not a bad survey compared to some of the dross we see on here. However.....
    If you're asking people how long they've been riding, I'd suggest against using open text boxes. You're making life hard for yourself collecting the results as you'll have people writing allsorts (eg, 5, five, fvie, V, bacon).

If you must have it as a text response, you should at least place some data validation rules on it so people can't just enter random responses.
  • jesus ive slipped into a new age bracket
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    jesus ive slipped into a new age bracket

You filled in a survey and it turned you into a hippy? Wow!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Not for you, maybe, but it is for plenty of people.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Not for you, maybe, but it is for plenty of people.

And that's good because it stops the best riding spots getting too busy.
  • Kowalski675
    And means that the rest of us don't have to put up with sharing trails with elitist, legend-in-their-own-lunchtime, riding god snobs... :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And means that the rest of us don't have to put up with sharing trails with elitist, legend-in-their-own-lunchtime, riding god snobs... :lol:
    ....who drive to the trail centres in their Grey Audi's before unloading the Orange 5 from the Saris Bones rack?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

I have seen more of them at trail centres than anywhere else.
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    ....who drive to the trail centres in their Grey Audi's before unloading the Orange 5 from the Saris Bones rack?

In their grey Audi's what?
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Hi there,
    If you get in contact with the guy who is the head of cycling at Dalby forest I spoke to him about my dissertation I am starting next years doing my masters and possibly further to do with trail erosion. He said to me that Strava has has a negative effect on trail conditions with the likes of locking up brakes going into gates and features, "strait lining" the trails i.e. cutting corners. He was very helpful but he is a busy guy so make sure you have the questions to hand and get all the information you need from him. That said he is a lovely guy and will try and find the time to help you. It would be very helpful for me to see the results of your research and id like to reference your work as well. Also if there is anything I can help you with regards to your work or social research I am a Market Researcher for the likes of Sport England and Welsh council so if there is absolutely anything I can help with feel free to ask.

Good luck in your research!!!
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build