Shimano Tiagra front derailleur

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Been having a bit of trouble with front derailleur. It will change up to big ring no problem, but when I go to change back to the inner ring it sticks.It will go back, but you have to physically push it back to change gear as it gets stuck half way between gears when using the shifter.

I've given it a good clean (with de-greaser and lubed it), reset the cable and adjusted the screws but still no joy.

Any ideas as I'm lost.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What happens if you disconnect the shifter cable and remove the chain? Does the mech cage sit squarely above the small chainring? If you push it so it's above the big ring and release it does it spring back to the small ring as it should?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Mine did this, tried getting penetrating oil in the pivots but no joy, just junked it, it'd been on the bike for a few years bought another problem solved
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • dinyull
    keef66 wrote:
    What happens if you disconnect the shifter cable and remove the chain? Does the mech cage sit squarely above the small chainring? If you push it so it's above the big ring and release it does it spring back to the small ring as it should?

No. If I change down from big ring, remove the cable and chain the mech cage will still just hover in between the 2 gears.

Bike has been used a lot over the winter and haven't really cleaned it as often as I should have. I'm amusing it's just clogged up with silt/crap from the roads but have tried numerous times to clean and lube all the pivot points thoroughly but still can't get it to free up properly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've wasted hours of my life and gallons of solvent / lubricants trying to resurrect dying front mechs. As Pilch says, once they get to the stage where the friction in the pivots is too great for the return spring, you're better off chucking the thing in the recycling and buying a new one. Luckily they aren't too expensive down in Tiagra territory.
  • dinyull
    Cheers for the help, will get one ordered for the weekend.