Looking to freshen up an old groupset on the cheap

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited February 2014 in Workshop
My RC2 road bike IS fitted with Campag 2006 10 speed Centaur triple groupset and the rear cassette and the chainrings are looking a bit tired. The cranks are square taper. Any suggestions on what I can do to freshen the bike up at minimum cost?

Cheap square taper triples seem hard to find although because I don't need to keep the triple, if a cheap compact is available then that would be Ok (if the overall cost remains cheap). I don't know if using a non-campag chainset and/or cassette would cause issues with the front and rear derailleurs. A extra few grams on a component wouldn't be an issue.

As you have probably by now got the gist, cheap is good :P and all assistance appreciated.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Basically the cheapest solution is to buy a new Campg (or compatible) cassette and some new rings only, for the front chainset (which can be fitted to the existing spider).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For the cassette, if you are doing low enough miles that they are on for a long time, then make sure you buy a Centaur level cassette. The Veloce ones are functionally fine but have a short lived finish on them which looks scruffy very quickly. Centaur cassettes retain their finish.

For the cranks - you can get them polished and re anodised - probably not that expensive but I have no idea how much. Same can be done with the chainrings assuming they are sufficiently unworn for it to be worth it. They also sell good value Stronglight cranksets (though these are generally touring oriented and may have smaller BCD than road triple - but I'd stick with refurbing the Campag ones anyway - they'll be as good as new when done).

If you want new ones, try Spa Cycles who have all sorts at good prices.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • top_bhoy
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out spa cycles.

If I look to replace only the chainring(s), is it a matter of ensuring that the replacements are 10 Spd compatible and have the same BCD as the existing ones? Any other measurement for identifying the appropriate replacement? I'm not to fussed on looks so a lower class than Centaur would be fine. I've now another road bike and this one will be for occasional and emergency use and for short loan periods to friends hence the desire to keep it usable but to keep costs down.
  • smidsy
    As long as BCD is the same you are good to go.

9, 10 or 11 speed is unlikely to make any difference.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • top_bhoy
    smidsy wrote:
    As long as BCD is the same you are good to go.

9, 10 or 11 speed is unlikely to make any difference.

I'm unsure of the spacing differences (if any) between Campag and Shimano compatible chainrings. If I get something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-Tempo-Triple-Crankset-52-42-30-170mm-9-Speed-Square-Taper-/321220474457?pt=US_Cranksets&var=&hash=item4aca3b7659 and mate it with a 10spd Campag cassette and a Campag 10 spd chain, I shouldn't encounter too many issues?
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    Hi,

This may help you in terms of replacing chain rings...

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • smidsy
    If you are buying a whole new chainset the BCD is no longer relevant. Only if you want to bolt new rings to the existing spider.

Front chainrings are largely benine (i.e they are not generally manufacturer critical/specific) it is the repationship between shifter/cassette/chain that is normally the limiting factor. As long as these 3 are compatible you will normally be fine.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • top_bhoy
    Thanks for all the responses to help me.
    I'm only thinking of changing the whole chainset because I'm struggling to find individual chainrings (and cheap) suitable for a triple. Plenty of inner and outer rings for doubles but triples are a bit thin on the ground. Another idea I'm toying with is buying a cheap double (seem to be plenty of these around) but I haven't investigated yet the type of the Centaur rear derailleur currently fitted and whether the rear derailleur needs to be swapped.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    the simply answer is a
    stronglight impact square taper compact plus jis bb or some other equaly cheap compact
    new chain
    new 10 spd casette
    new cables inners and outers (makes a big diff)

the rear mech will be fine
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Rolf F wrote:
    For the cassette, if you are doing low enough miles that they are on for a long time, then make sure you buy a Centaur level cassette. The Veloce ones are functionally fine but have a short lived finish on them which looks scruffy very quickly. Centaur cassettes retain their finish.

I have had issues with Veloce cassettes - bought them as a cheaper option twice as I don't race anymore and I am not particularly bike weight conscious any more, quite happy to go up hill without my eyes falling out....anyway, on both occasions the 16a sprockets snapped in half during a ride ( perhaps a bad batch or a symptom of something else going on ). It was not a pretty sight as the sprockets slipped across the free hub and it was quite dangerous...I get Chorus now, so far so good. I had never heard or experienced a sprocket snapping before.

Just thought I'd put that in.

Chris
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    damocles10 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I have had issues with Veloce cassettes - bought them as a cheaper option twice as I don't race anymore and I am not particularly bike weight conscious any more, quite happy to go up hill without my eyes falling out....anyway, on both occasions the 16a sprockets snapped in half during a ride ( perhaps a bad batch or a symptom of something else going on ). It was not a pretty sight as the sprockets slipped across the free hub and it was quite dangerous...I get Chorus now, so far so good. I had never heard or experienced a sprocket snapping before.

Chris

Crikey! Never heard that one before. I've done 10s of thousands of miles on them with no trouble at all.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    damocles10 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Chris

Crikey! Never heard that one before. I've done 10s of thousands of miles on them with no trouble at all.

Yeah, it was very surprising. I like to push big gears [ I never use the inner ring ] perhaps that was a contributing factor.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    I've got a similar 2004-ish Veloce / Centaur triple setup on my commuter bike. I've replaced the chainset a couple of times - in my experience it's always been cheaper in the past to buy a complete chainset off ebay rather than trying to buy the rings separately

Any suggestions as to where I might get a cheap-ish campag 10 speed long-throw rear derailleur (which is now wearing out) would be much appreciated!