Fit new outer when replacing gear cable ?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Do you guys fit a new outer pieces when fitting a new gear cable ?

I've put a new cable on rear derailleur and it easily fed through to the back but now wondering if to replace the whole cable outers.

I've got an issue where once going through the gears and taking out cable slack and doing up the pinch bolt, the cable gets too tight going up to the larger sprockets making hard to press the shifter but gets loose going to the smaller gears.

Reading guides ,the cable once on the rear largest sprocket gear should be untensioned a bit loose and once on the smallest gear say 9 for example, the tension on the cable be tight but not too tight.

Is this correct ?

Any tips, I've done it many times before but this time something is a miss and has been doing my head in as it's messing up the indexing.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Back to front I think unless you have a rapid rise rear mech, and I always replace both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Read Parktools
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Ensure the hanger is straight and the chain is not worn. Strange shifting characteristics can be due to both of these if cable adjustment doesn't fix it.
  • swod1
    The rear mech is a deore 9 speed, top/normal spring.

It shifts gears but I just wondered why the cable is getting rather tight when shifting up the cassette.

Also is it better to adjust cable tension on the actual rear mech or shifter, I have both options ?
  • cooldad
    Makes no difference where you adjust it, and the cable should tighten, that's what moves the mech.
    But sounds like you are too tight to start with.

Loosen everything, read Parktools and start again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    cooldad wrote:
    Makes no difference where you adjust it, and the cable should tighten, that's what moves the mech.
    But sounds like you are too tight to start with.

Loosen everything, read Parktools and start again.

I've been following the park tools guide anyway for the indexing guide.

I understand so the cable tension on the outer most gear should be relaxed and when on the Inner most gear be tensioned as the derailleur moves across towards the wheel ?

It doesn't help there isn't a groove on the pinch bolt for the cable to route through like there is on the xt mechs.
  • cooldad
    Not sure what you mean by 'relaxed'. Set limit screws, attach cable, fine tune with barrel adjuster.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    swod1 wrote:
    Do you guys fit a new outer pieces when fitting a new gear cable ?

Yes, I usually do. it's pretty cheap stuff.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you are running into a badly adjusted high stop, or the pivots on the mech are gunged up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like you are running into a badly adjusted high stop, or the pivots on the mech are gunged up.

Never had a problem with the mech before, until now when i fitted a new cable myself instead of using the local bike shop.

I will have a proper look at it this weekend, the gears have worked fine before the new cable was put on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your not testing this dry shifting without spinning the cranks are you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Your not testing this dry shifting without spinning the cranks are you?

Nope, just clicking up and down the gears while turning the pedals to check the indexing and noticing how tight the cable was when getting on to the largest rear gear on the cassette.
  • The shifter tightens the cable to pull the mech into the low gears (largest sprockets) on a standard rear mech.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.