Fork replacement on Scott Aspect

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Scott Aspect 40 and I would like to upgrade the forks on it from the factory supplied ones to around 120mm of travel.

This maybe a silly question but how do I know I am buying the right ones for the bike or are they standard fit?

Also do you have any recommendations for reasonable forks at cheapest price?

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Looks at whether your forks have open slotted dropouts or a bolt through, and see if the steerer is straight or tapered and buy accordingly.rockshox recon solo air are good, and suntour epicon lo airs are cheaper but a bit less good
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What are on it now? Do you want to increase the travel? If so do you know what the frame is warrantied up to?
  • Cqc wrote:
    Looks at whether your forks have open slotted dropouts or a bolt through, and see if the steerer is straight or tapered and buy accordingly.rockshox recon solo air are good, and suntour epicon lo airs are cheaper but a bit less good
    Thanks and this will sound silly but how do I find that lot out?

At the moment I have a Suntour XCM-H (lockout) with 100mm travel.

Thanks
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    What are on it now? Do you want to increase the travel? If so do you know what the frame is warrantied up to?

I have a Suntour XCM-H (lockout) with 100mm travel and have no idea what the frame is warrantied up to
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much anything will be an upgrade. Just make sure it has hydraulic damping.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    cooldad wrote:
    Pretty much anything will be an upgrade. Just make sure it has hydraulic damping.

This, and:
    Cqc wrote:

this.

Epicons can be had for about £130 on eBay at the moment - they're about the lowest spec fork you should go for, but only have 100mm travel.

RS Recons are pretty capable forks indeed, can be had in 100mm or 120mm guise and can be had for between £140 and £180 thanks to sales - have a look on chainreactioncycles.com .

Another fork to consider would be the Rebas, slightly more expensive again, but once more available reasonably priced on sale. It all depends on your budget!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Your forks will have 1 1/8 straight steerer, and qr dropouts as their cheap and old, definitely buy an air for, RS reckons solo air would be my choice as its definitely worth the extra cash