Surprise scars

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2014 in MTB general
I did a spot of racing today and didn't come of or have any sort of incident but got home and found cuts in my thigh and shin. Not the first time this has happened either.
As everyone (except women) knows chicks dig scars so I would like to know when I get one so I can show it off.
Is it normal to find cuts and bruises with no recollection of how you got them?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

Did you meet a nice man who asked you to smell his handkerchief?
  • rockmonkeysc
    welshkev wrote:

Did you meet a nice man who asked you to smell his handkerchief?

Not making that mistake again. It made my botty hurt last time.
  • welshkev
    :lol:

Did you race FoD today?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yep. Awful weather and no grip even with spikes. I was happy with a very average, mid place result considering I just wanted to go home. Good to watch Danny Hart make everyone else look rubbish though!
  • welshkev
    Yep. Awful weather and no grip even with spikes. I was happy with a very average, mid place result considering I just wanted to go home. Good to watch Danny Hart make everyone else look rubbish though!

Yeah that's what I was going to ask, but I guessed he'd won. I was going to go up and watch but CBA in this weather
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Always finding cuts and bruises. Must stop drinking.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Camelbak full of special brew?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Adrenaline will do that for you. And, presumably, if you were racing, you were full of it. Many years ago, during a full contact karate match up, I injured my knee so badly that the following day the doctor said I shouldn't have been able to walk on it. But I was so wound up at the time that I didn't know anything about it until it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately now, many many years later, that knee gives me gip after riding.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    I did a spot of racing today and didn't come of or have any sort of incident but got home and found cuts in my thigh and shin. Not the first time this has happened either.
    As everyone (except women) knows chicks dig scars so I would like to know when I get one so I can show it off.
    Yep, happens to me when I bin it trying to do DH - usually because something else hurts more so you pay attention to that and not the lesser stuff. Like when I broke my hand - realised when I got home that I'd also taken a small chunk of flesh off my lower leg and gouged my upper leg with the bars.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Aye, took until the adrenaline wore off to realise that something was wrong when I'd bust my collarbone.
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Branches etc can give you some interesting cuts in strange places especially when you're giving it beans whilst racing. Showering afterwards as you come down from the adrenaline high or thaw out :lol: can be bloody painful way to discover them.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Very true, and brambles are the absolute worst for it too...

Oddly I've only obtained 2 scars from mtbing, one was an aforementioned bramble branch that opened up a few 2-3 shallow cuts on my arm, the second being the obvious and oh-so-common cause - platform pedal pins.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not on an MTB at the time but I didn't notice this when I got doored until a passer by said something about stopping the bleeding. I was rather more concerned about my middle finger pointing sideways across the back of my hand. Adrenaline works wonders. Quite often pick up small scrapes without any idea of where I got them. I've not noticed a broken rib until the following morning when I fell off a bike, but that was alcohol rather than adrenaline.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Not a problem this time of year but in the summer last year riding it a tee shirt and shorts, there was a lot of bracken along the trail, didn't notice that much while riding, but when I got home it was like I had been self harming arms and legs covered in tiny cuts and really sore afterwards just like paper cuts.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not on an MTB at the time but I didn't notice this when I got doored until a passer by said something about stopping the bleeding. I was rather more concerned about my middle finger pointing sideways across the back of my hand. Adrenaline works wonders. Quite often pick up small scrapes without any idea of where I got them. I've not noticed a broken rib until the following morning when I fell off a bike, but that was alcohol rather than adrenaline.

When you got doored? Story time, I do believe!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Cookeh wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

When you got doored? Story time, I do believe!
    Story to scar ratio is poor I'm afraid. Riding home from work on bright evening I was passing between two lanes of traffic on a bit of urban dual carriageway when the passenger in a car in the right hand lane suddenly threw her door open. I hit the back edge of the door so the top corner went into my bicep as in the picture and it broke my middle finger. I still can't fully straighten or flex the finger, never will, and it looks crooked and I'm still suffering with shoulder problems caused by the damage to my arm. The accident was in September 2012, healing takes longer as you get older.