Colnago Master owners opinions...

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi just after some feedback from those who own or have ridden a Master.

Not sure I understand the difference (if there are any differences) between the Master and Master X Light? Also geo wise I know the front end is lower than on my CF bike but how comfortable are these bikes? Also I understand they are stiff for a steel bike which is good. Also do they have weight limits on these frames?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Colnago Master as a model has been around in various forms since 1983 - the current incarnation being the Master X-Lite. I've seen originals at the likes of Retroronde and L'eroica which is a testament to their durability. No worries about weight limits. Suggest you try and get a test ride - steel has a distinctive 'zing' and feels quite alive on the road, not as muted as titanium or some carbon frames. For bike fit and geometry, a decent dealer should ensure you're set-up correctly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • A good steel bike is still the best ride in terms of feel and the Master light is a good steel frame.
    The Precisa steel fork is less impressive and maybe you want to go for the carbon option
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I own a 1991 Mater Piu in Saroni Red, which I just love, beautiful ride, so smooth and precise, unlike Ugo I love the forks.

I also own a 2002/4 Master Carbon, carbon rear triangle and forks, I use this as my winter bike, it is a little more lively, still very smooth, but not as good as my all steel Saroni.

Everyone of my mates that have tried it are gobsmacked at the ride.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I've seen originals at the likes of Retroronde and L'eroica which is a testament to their durability.

To be fair, if it is a testament to their durability, it isn't much of a testament. I'd hope any decent steel bike would cope with those rides and after all that time. Never mind that a 30 year old bike can have been ridden several times round the world or squirreled away in a warm loft! I'm sure they are great bikes - their reputation here is clear - but just because original ones are still being used doesn't tell you anything at all really! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......