Inner Tubes

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I wanted to ask a couple of questions re these:

1) Would a 23/25 700CC fit and work in a hybrid fitted with 700CC wheels but a tyre width of 28 possibly more? I use the smallest tubes for my road bikes which I think are usually packaged as 23 - 25, and my hyrbrid tubes I think are usually packaged 28 - 30 or similar. Surely as the tube expands in the tyre anyway it would do the same job?

2)Also am I right in thinking the quality is pretty much the same across brands, some seem to cost a lot more than others and I wonder whether I am losing out by looking for the cheaper option.

Cheers

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    1)
    using a smaller tube will be ok up to a limit...

expanded circumference is proportional to diameter (c = πd), so 10% greater diameter, means 10% increase in circumference and of course the tube streched thinner by 1-1/1.1, c. 9%, which in turn means it'll be a bit more vulnerable to puncture/abrasion

tubes aren't infinitely stretchy, eventually you'd reach the material's limit and it'd fail

2)
    tubes are much of a muchness

unless you need removable cores, light weight, or a particular valve stem length/type, may as well go for economy, though i'd be wary of sources that might be doing their bit for free enterprise by selling qc failures as good tubes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When you blow a tube up outside of a tyre it does not expand uniformly around the whole tube.
    Think (from memory) it is around the valve that does not get bigger.

Personally I would buy the correct tubes but just give it a go and see what happens.
  • I have fitted the skinniest tubes 18-25 on 32 mm Vittoria tyres and they are fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have found conti 18-25mm race 28 are the best to use with 28mm tyres as if I try to use a tour 28 slim for example on a 28mm tyre on a standard width rim the tyre can becomes a very tight fit and that is a tight fit for me which impossibly tight for the customer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've sometimes found that, when using undersize tubes, I get a low spot at the valve that I can feel every time the wheel goes round. That's annoying enough for me to use the right tubes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Anonymous
    I have found conti 18-25mm race 28 are the best to use with 28mm tyres as if I try to use a tour 28 slim for example on a 28mm tyre on a standard width rim the tyre can becomes a very tight fit and that is a tight fit for me which impossibly tight for the customer.

How do you mean that the tyre is a tight fit? Do you mean getting it on the rim?
    If so how does the tube affect that?

Is there any liability in fitting an 18-25 tube in a 28mm tyre for a customer?
    I do not see 3mm as a problem but a customer and his 'no win, no fee' lawyer might if there is an accident and they check the tube.
  • Anonymous
    DesWeller wrote:
    I've sometimes found that, when using undersize tubes, I get a low spot at the valve that I can feel every time the wheel goes round. That's annoying enough for me to use the right tubes.

Thats roughly what I thought would happen.

Did not think you would actually feel it but just the thought of having a section of tube that did not expand in the same way, or was more stressed in its expansion is enough for me to spend a couple of £3's on something I will always need as a cyclist.
  • Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Cheers. I only ask as I carry a load of 23 - 25's for my road bikes but want to carry them for my odd commute on the hybrid too. Will let you know what happens if I ever have to use them!